Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Finding Brillig


aka Rocking the Jabberwock

©2003 Susan Noyes Anderson

We all step through the looking glass,
but each one takes a different ride.
Some fall head-first like Alice did,
while others choose a measured stride.

Who trusts enough to nibble life
will grow or shrink accordingly.
Who waits and watches from afar,
will likely find herself at sea.

Beware the Jabberwock, indeed,
but neither yield nor disappear.
Just glance back through the looking glass
and wave and whisper, "I'm still here!"

∞§∞

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop."
–The King, Alice In Wonderland.

This poem included in His Children
with different artwork, namely photos by Anita Schiller.

15 comments:

karen said...

Good one Sue - the Jabberwock has always been favorite poem of mine (I have it memorized for some reason) and this is a brillig take on it!

Brian Miller said...

nice....great spin on wonderland...i like my trips there...i am def nota nibbler...smiles.

Unknown said...

Loved this! I never nibble! I tend to favor huge bites!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful poem! I love its meaning.

Lisalulu said...

I like the poem, but I'm just going to have to be dumb and ask, Brillig?

Susan Anderson said...

Lisa-

"Brillig" comes from a poem by Lewis Carroll in "Through the Looking Glass" (Alice in Wonderland). The poem is called "Jabberwocky."

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe..."

=)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Great! I loved the picture at the end!

God bless and have a splendid day!!! :o)

LeAnn said...

This was a great one. You are so good at this; and I tell you that every time I read one of your poems.
I love following your journey.

yaya said...

I'd love to climb through a looking glass....usually because I can't believe that's really me in the front of it..somewhere in there is the REAL me...

Unknown said...

Awesome as usual!!

Myrna Foster said...

I remember reading Jabberwocky and being fascinated with it in junior high. Good stuff!

Caroline said...

Sue, I imagine this poem as a song. I think it would make a lovely one!!

I feel quite lucky to have a copy of your His Children.

:)

Anonymous said...

love your poems.

Grandma Honey said...

The first 2 lines are my favorite. so true, so true.

CB said...

I haven't thought of the Jabberwocky in years but I always loved it.
Wonderful take here.