Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Cure


Finally, a Saturday morning with nothin' to do but sit down and craft my Saturday Centus for Jenny Matlock. For reasons unknown, however, I still allowed myself to go the easy route. Guess I just couldn't resist having some fun with the prompt, and I hope it gives Ms. Jenny a little chuckle, too. (I've purposely avoided offering her a great big guffaw so her pleurisy won't hurt even worse!)...I know; I am nothing if not thoughtful. ;) Get well soon, Jenny friend.

∞§∞


When chamomile tea she slurped,
Leigh stayed awake but soundly burped.
The melatonin was okay,
but left her groggy the next day.
Lunesta was discarded soon;
it had her barking at the moon.
Hops didn’t live up to its name;
Leigh's lack of sleep remained the same.
The Ambien she had to change
because it made her act so strange.
Sheets sprayed with lavender smelled sweet
but could not wakefulness defeat.
Warm milk went over like a brick;
sans chocolate, it just made her sick.
And yet a fix she finally found.
At last her sleep was deep and sound.
The best and only cure of all?
You guessed it! Friday night football.

∞§∞

23 comments:

Kelly Sedinger said...

Awww, that's just mean! :)

Viki said...

LOL, sometimes football can put someone to sleep. Loved you poem.

Grandma Honey said...

Oh that was cute! One of my favorite...although my husband would not agree, obviously. He gets so worked up after watching football that it keeps him awake.

anitamombanita said...

you clearly have too many guys in your family!!! too funny!

karen said...

Ah YEEAAHH!! That would do it for me! Nicely done Centus.

21 Wits said...

Oh for sure, but with a day being like this anything would be marvelous! Great...GREAT...thought provoking post!

jfb57 said...

You have such a talent! I'm so envious not only of the idea but the great poetry! Fab!

Judie said...

Hahahaha! Sue, this is terrific! I have insomnia, and haven't tried all those cures. Maybe the football will work!!

Susan Anderson said...

TV golf is very good, too, Judie!

;)

cj Schlottman said...

Sue! This cure is perfect (and I so agree)!

Namaste..........cj

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Ha,ha, cute!

Ames said...

Ha ha ha! It's golf for me!~Ames

alpinekleins said...

Work for me every time! No - I've struggled with sleep and have committed to try to develop better sleep habits. But it's taking a bite out of my productivity! :D

Kristin

Darlene said...

I really got a great guffaw(sp) out of this one Sue. It really did creep on on my and the last line was really terrific! I think this is a fantastic take on Jennie's Centus. I'll bet you will get a lot of raves on this one. I loved the poem too. It sort of reminds me of the poem I wrote on a whole bunch of medicines I take(or used to take). The idea was fun.

Bookie said...

So clever, Sue, as always. This is a good one!

Karen Mortensen said...

That does it to me all the time.

Gail said...

Fantastic!! Football puts me to sleep, too.

Unknown said...

What a clever poem! Excellent!

Brian Miller said...

ok i hear you on TV golf...lol...my body just sleeps when it needs it...i dont know if that ever happened in football...smiles.

gautami tripathy said...

I enjoyed your poem!

much

Stef said...

Hahaha! I think you might have just offended most of my family. But not me...I am right there snoring with you.

Nonna said...

Yay Sue ! Another darling, original and clever poem. Bravo !!!

For the record, football is just a snooze fest for me and after so many years of it dominating part of the year with 4 sons and a husband, I'm over and done with it !!!

Jenny said...

I am off to set my DVR to record ALL Friday night football games if this actually works!

Love it!

You are so darned clever. For me, it's usually the war shows that knock me out. Like watching the Norwegian rebels attack Nazi Germany to destroy their heavy water plant.

Sigh.