Friday, October 7, 2011

Does X Factor Have the X Factor? Yes!


My desperately needed hair appointment is looming (gotta leave in just over an hour), but I did want to say a few words about X Factor this morning because I'm liking that show almost as much as my reigning favorite, So You Think You Can Dance. To tell the truth, I am not a big TV viewer. In fact, I never watch in real time (fast forwarding through the commercials is a must), but I do DVR my five favorite shows every week to enjoy at my leisure. And X Factor is the only one I can't wait to see.

Of course, its kissing cousin is American Idol, but the relationship is mostly superficial. With L.A. Reid of Epic Records on board and Simon more candid that corrosive, the judging is considerably better. And the talent is so good that they had to send people home who would have won Idol rather handily. I'm not sure where X Factor is getting all these amazing singers, but there are definitely some hard-hitters in the line-up...and no lightweights at all. This makes for some pretty exciting auditions, made even more so by the fact that they are performed in front of a large, live audience.

Another interesting feature is the inclusion of singers aged 12 and up. Groups are also allowed to compete, adding a new flavor to the mix. But the artists I am most drawn to come from the over-30 category. Their voices pack a world of experience, and they definitely know what to do with it.

If you haven't checked out X Factor, I suggest you give it a go. They are down to the final 32 contestants (8 girls, 8 boys, 8 over-30s, and 8 groups), but only 16 of these acts will make it to the show. Each of the four judges has been assigned to mentor one of the groups, and it will be up to that judge to send half of his or her proteges home in the next week or so. (I was surprised to see that all the coaching and final selecting will take place in the judge's own residences.) Paula Abdul, who is in charge of the groups, will have a ton of people staying at her house! L. A. Reid will host the boys, Simon Cowell the girls, and Nicole Scherzinger the over-30s. Should be fascinating.

So far, the show has evoked strong emotions in me. There's something about seeing talented people pursue their dreams that pulls this old dreamer in, and these singers are really putting themselves out there. A number of them are likable, too, which doesn't hurt.

I have a feeling X Factor is going to come up a big winner this year.

=)


16 comments:

karen said...

I'll have to check it out. I can never remember when these shows are on - and LaMar and I are dinosaurs with no DVR or Tivo. Gah - I'll have to write myself a note.

CB said...

You have totally peaked my interest with these posts! Maybe they should hire you for marketing :-D

Tonya said...

Oooo, I've been pining over the fact that I don't get that channel: we get a whopping 2 channels. :S It definitely looks like something I'd get into. :)

Unknown said...

Simon Cowell has the Midas touch!

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I need to watch this show!

Unknown said...

I agree, Sue. The over 30's are the group to beat (except that one guy). I don't really like any of the groups, but I am excited to see where they go.

Much better than American Idol so far. Much better.

anitamombanita said...

Sounds a lot like the VOICE, which I hugely prefer over Idol. I didn't even bother to watch Idol last season after the first couple episodes...it just seemed...well...childish and staged and a whole lot of hoopla about nothing. So, I'll have to check out XFactor...although the fact that Paula is in any way involved I find frightening...just being honest.

Darlene said...

Sue, you explained the whole show perfectly and all I can say is that I totally agree with every single thing you said.

Dick and I are both excited about the show and we wouldn't miss it for anything. The judging is just so much better than "Idol".

The only thing I don't like to see is all the crying and carrying on when the contestents lose out and have to go home. I feel so sorry for them, because you are so right, they are all so darned good. It would be very hard for me to pick a winner.

We are also like you in taping the shows we want to see for viewing later. I hate commercials and it is neat to just be able to run right through them.

Have you picked a favorite yet? I am not too fond of the gal that Simon seems to like so much. I can't remember her name but she is the one who's dad died the day she got to Boot Camp. I felt sorry for her, but I just don't care for that style of singing.....it's more like screaching to me. She tries to sing too loud too. That "Tiger" is one that the judges really likes. I thought he was pretty good too.

I do look forward to when the show really begins with the final 16.

Grandma Honey said...

I am so out of it. Someday I ought to look at network TV. :)

Stacy said...

I like it too.

I think it will be interesting to see Simon pick songs for the people he is mentoring. That was his beef with a lot of people on Idol, not getting the right song choice.

Jo said...

I finally checked it out ... pretty good ... didn't watch it before because i can't stand the constant bickering between Paula and Simon ... glad to see that it is not so center stage on this show.

Brian Miller said...

i like x factor a whole lot better than idol...i think the quality is better...i like all the help they get and the concept works...that and i am still bitter about last year...smiles.

alpinekleins said...

Hee hee - I'm watching the other cousin then . . . I love Sing-off and watch the episodes over and over again because the acapella music groups are so amazing! I don't know how they will continue to eliminate one more group each week!

Kristin

Unknown said...

Haven't watched it yet but I hear it's awesome!!

Caroline said...

Sue, I get emotional too when I see talent. I think I'm that way because I understand that most people, who are talented (even when they KNOW they are) don't have this automatic confidence. It takes so much courage to just "go for it" and on these shows you can get a really good sense of that courage.

I have yet to see X Factor but I have seen some of the commercials and it looks great. I will take your recommendation and give it a shot!

p.s. We do a lot of DVR-ing (verizon recording, really) in this house too. I agree it's the best way to avoid those commercials!

Jenny said...

I'm really liking it better now they're starting the personal mentoring!