Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Books Fall Open...I Fall In


I've been doing a LOT of reading lately, and I've found a new author whose books I am enjoying. I should warn you that these are not earth-shattering or life-changing novels. They are a little more weighty than fluff, a little more well-written than most of today's fiction, and a lot more wholesome than pretty much anything out there. Often there is romance, always there is sentiment, and usually there is tender truth.

I guarantee that my husband (and likely yours) would not enjoy her work. At times, it is touching enough to border on saccharine, but it never quite goes over the top for me. In fact, Lisa Wingate aptly fills my personal need for the occasional escape that doesn't leave me feeling slightly soiled afterwards. (Quite the reverse.) I find her books both refreshing and uplifting...with the psychology, the characters, and the way they evolve consistently holding my interest. Wingate sometimes uses her dialogue to express religious views, but I'm good with that...as long as she doesn't hit me over the head with it. (She doesn't.)

Reading a Lisa Wingate book is not brain surgery, that's for sure. But it does seem to exert some beneficial effects on the heart.

=)

12 comments:

Amy said...

Oh the sweet balm of a good book. I am going to have to check some out from the library. She sounds like a wonderful author. Is there any book in particular of hers you recommend?

Unknown said...

OOOh, I think I'll have to check her out!

jen said...

Your last recommendation went so well (The Forgotten Garden) that I trust this one as well. I might need a trip to the library today.

Karen Sue said...

Her name sounds so familiar, but I don't recognize any names of her books. Guess I'll have to check her out. Thanks for the recommend!

Darlene said...

I, too, am going to the library tomorrow. I only have one book in my house right now and I will start that one as soon as I finish this. I will definitely get some of her books. My absolute favorite author though is still Rosamunde Pilcher. I just finished Under Gemini, and I am still shedding happy tears. I look forward to LIsa Wingate. She sounds like my kind of author. Thanks.

Susan Anderson said...

I love Rosamunde Pilcher, too. She is among my very favorites. And I don't consider her books fluffy at all.

=)

Grandma Honey said...

I read Tending Roses and really enjoyed it, but have not read any of her other books? Which one would you recommend I read next?

I remember highlighting some of the insightful things she would say.

Caroline said...

Oh how I love a good book! She sounds great, thanks for the suggestion.

karen said...

I'm always in the market for a good book. I have just one question - are her books available on Kindle?

Susan Anderson said...

Yes, her books are available on Kindle, Karen. Sometimes, they're even discounted!

As for your question, Jill, there are three books in the "Tending Roses" series. I just finished reading "The Language of Sycamore Trees," which is book 3 of these.

Em said...

i'm reading "the help." i wish i wasn't so tired at night b/c i'm missing my book time.

Becky said...

I'm always looking forward to finding good "escape" authors, and with spring break and some "waiting for the hikers" time coming up soon, your timing was perfect! Thanks for the recommendation.