Friday, August 21, 2009

Mission Accomplished!


Well, the surgery is over, and the patient survived!

The mother survived, also, but just barely. Honestly, the older I get the less I like surgeries, hospitals, and the like. Even office procedures put me on edge, especially when they are happening to my children. Guess I've been burned a few too many times myself, because I never used to be bothered by such things at all...other than disliking the boredom of waiting rooms.

Speaking of the boredom of waiting rooms, by the way, that's one thing that has improved immeasurably over the years. Sitting in an ergonomic chair, Kindle in hand, cell phone at the ready, and laptop nestled at my feet constitutes a big step up from the old days...when I generally occupied an unyielding plastic seat, carried extra quarters for the pay phone, held a battered library book in both hands, and used my foot to jiggle the unrockable infant seat positioned on the floor beside me. (Those new, curved kind are so mom-friendly!)

Three of many harrowing experiences I recall involved handing my 8-month-old baby to an OR nurse for double inguinal hernia surgery, rushing my 2-year-old to the ER because he was unconscious and seizing for no apparent reason, and finding out that my toddler had Kawasaki syndrome, a condition which can lead to deadly aneurysms. Only slightly less traumatic were the many midnight visits for babies in respiratory failure (severe asthma runs deep in our family)––to say nothing of the requisite broken bones, stitches, and lumbar taps. Ah, sweet memories. No wonder I'm burned out on doctors, procedures, and the like! (Did I mention that the seizing toddler contracted typhoid while being treated at Children's Hospital in LA?) They sent him home with a week-long, 105-degree temperature, largely because my pediatrician felt I was a "good enough" nurse to care for him myself. (At this point, being "experienced" in the care of sick children felt like a mixed blessing!)

All the same, and the above-listed litany of medical emergencies notwithstanding, I have to count myself very lucky. Each of my children has become a healthy...even reasonably happy...adult, and it would be ungrateful to complain when they and I have been so richly blessed.

In fact, I probably ought to delete this entire post and start over, but I don't think I will. After all, weren't we just talking about smoothing like an ocean stone?

(I guess we can put me down as still workin' on that!)

=)

8 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

I had forgotten how it use to be...the extra quarters for the pay phone, the plastic chairs. It's much easier being a parent of a child in a hospital these days...many even let you stay over night with them now. Still, I don't think the trauma of it all gets any easier.

Karen said...

Glad everything worked out ok - wifi makes all waiting easier!


Hugs to you and your family.

Momza said...

So glad to hear everyone made it thru safely. I agree with you, hospitals and dr offices make me nervous!
Have a great weekend!

Snarky Belle said...

Glad to hear all's well! Thinking of and praying for you and your family! Love you.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are both well...patient and mom. I would probably not like hospitals much either if my son contracted an illness from one!!

karen said...

I'm glad that everyone is doing well. And thank you so much for your kind comment. I did go to that post, and it helped a lot - and gave me some good, constructive ideas for the future. Thanks for helping me out on a very tough day.

VK said...

Yikes, you've seen the ER and OR way more than I ever did. Good luck in the recovery process.

Em said...

glad to hear sugery is done. nurse sue on the move!