Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hope Floats, Time Flies & Mammography Matters


One of the happiest moments I experience all year is that supernal moment when my mammogram is completed. How my flattened mangled bosom thrills to hear those indescribably liberating words: "The films are good; you may go now."

Today was just such a day. I am released for twelve entire months from the crushing (literally) responsibility of this non-too-enjoyable test, and I feel free as a bird...or at least, some kind of milk-producing mammal.

Why do I subject myself to this yearly trial by torture, you may ask? (Sometimes I ask too, which is a pretty silly exercise because I already know the answer.) The reason I sacrifice my body to the mammogram machine is because early detection works. I've seen it. And I have friends who are alive today to be wives and mothers and grandmas and everything else they want to be because of their yearly screening.

And so I do it. I simply pick myself up, drag myself over to the local mammography center, and do it. With great reluctance and even greater determination, I offer up my assets for their 52-week checkup.

And then I skip all the way back to my car.

=)

11 comments:

jen said...

Lily's favorite teacher is just starting chemo due to an early detection and routine mammography. I add my testimony to yours.
. . . And as soon as I can enjoy the machine without squirting milk everywhere, I will make my appointment!

Ryan A said...

There is no way you skipped back to the car. I mean...lets be real. I'm glad you are sooooo healthy though mom :)

Karen said...

This is truely a brutal experience except for the whole cancer thing - so worth every last flat boobie! I have one in a few weeks.

karen said...

Yes, you did too skip - just in your head! It's always good to get it out of the way, and the added bonus is a good report. We all hate doing it, but do it we must.

Em said...

i feel the same way:-) no mammogram yet, but the yearly pap, yahoo! love getting my little note in the mail two weeks later with the little box next to the word "normal" checked. then i skip to the garbage and throw it away with a big smile on my face. go me, i'm a responsible adult:-)

Momza said...

First, you owe Ryan a smack upside the noggin. Dude, she can Skip to the car if she wants to...she just had her boobs smashed into poptarts.
Second, I would've skipped with you...and I rarely skip but today, I woulda. SKIP ON, Woman, SKIP ON!

Snarky Belle said...

I am a believer in early detection as well!

And off the serious note, this entire post (including comments) made me laugh! :)

Congratulations Skipper!

Unknown said...

No news is always good news..especially after that torture!

Heather Anderson said...

Mom,

I am so glad to hear that you past the breast test.

Respectfully Submitted,

Matthew D. Anderson

Katie Blacker said...

i think this is my favorite post of yours so far. hilarious yes but so true and so important.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I am not ready for that. I don't think I have enough left after nursing 4 babies to put in a machine!