Friday, February 12, 2010

What's LOVE Got to Do with It?


With Valentine's Day approaching, I've been wanting to share a few of my timely and inspired views on love. Unfortunately, the humbling realization that I am unable to express myself adequately on this particular subject seems to be getting in my way. I find romantic love as elusive and enigmatic an emotion to discuss as have countless writers and philosophers through the ages. In fact, after extensive research, it comes as no surprise to me that this topic and those who write about it are in such a state of confusion.

Just look at the conflicting messages we receive. Remember those timeless lines from Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing? "In the morning mist, two lovers kissed, and the world stood still..." A beautiful image, isn't it? And haven't we all experienced that kind of world-stopping emotion? The trouble is, in the next breath they turn around and tell us that "Love makes the world go 'round." Well, which is it?...'round or still?! And if love really does make the world go 'round, then who on earth would ever have coined the phrase "Stop the world, I wanna get off?"

This is not the only contradiction, I'm sorry to say. It is merely one of many. If money can't buy me love, then why are diamonds a girl's best friend? And if your love makes me helpless as a kitten, then how am I managing to fly on the wings of it?...or climb the highest mountain and swim the deepest sea, for that matter? If love is truly blind, then how did the look of love get in your eyes?...and even if it is in your eyes, how can I see it? (If I love you, that is.) And what's love got to do with it, anyway?

No wonder this issue is so difficult to address. How can I enlighten you on the intrinsic qualities of love when I can't even articulate what they are? Maybe the answer is to simply give up on defining the "greatest emotion" and enjoy it. One thing's for sure, it beats any and everything else the world has to offer.

So have a happy Valentine's Day––and be sure to tell your sweetheart how much you love him (or her). Just don't get into a discussion of what that means. After all, even true love has its limits!

11 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

A very savvy post. I like how you ended it..don't think much about it because it doesn't make sense. Just enjoy it.

jen said...

Love doesn't make sense. That's why all the contradictions. At least not passionate love. Love for a child is more easily expressed. But someone that turns you upside down and makes everything right in the world--What?

Unknown said...

I think that is why Valentines Day is so difficult for me. I don't express love or even feel it the way it shows on tv. It's a hard holiday to live up to with some pretty high expectations.
I hope someday I get it down but it's something I struggle with always....showing and receiving love.

Jess said...

I actually think I have a handle on this one Sue, there must be opposition in all things- even love, or especially love.
Ok I'm full of it, but I wouldn't be smarty pants if I wasn't ;)

Darlene said...

Love makes me feel warm and toasty and very very comfortable and secure. It is hard to define all the facets of love, but I just love having it be with me all the time! In later years Dick and I haven't exchanged Valentine gifts. I can't remember last when he brought home roses, or any other kind of flowers for that matter. Having just said that, I must confess that sometimes we do go shopping together to buy gifts for each other. As a matter of fact, we just got home from one of those trips. I bought him a beautiful red silk tie whith grey and white in it and he bought me TWO necklaces. We tried to find the one similar to the one that I lost at your house Sue, but could't find a blue one that I liked. Then, imagine how we felt when we no sooner got home than the UPS man arrived with a package of See's chocolates from our Sweet Sue and Dave So I am feeling both kinds of love pretty poignantly---from husband AND child. However you try to describe it, love is grand! Any way it comes.

Anonymous said...

every day you come up with something fabulous. I'm not sure how you do it.

xoxo, m

karen said...

Now you have me confused. I think it's best not to try to understand love or make sense of it. It's too elusive for that. It will not be defined, as its different for everyone. And isn't that the most beautiful thing about it? It doesn't have to be logical or make sense. It just IS.

alpinekleins said...

Brilliant and soooo much fun! Have a very fun weekend. I just may have to repost this!

Kristin

Simply Mel said...

Great post! I'm still the hopeless romantic!

Thank you for stopping by, and leaving such a lovely comment.

Have a wonderful Valentine weekend! :)

Heather Anderson said...

We have so many different phrases about love because each person feels and views it so differently. Even the 2 people in love seem to feel different about how that love feels or what it means. I am the type to say love has wings, love conquers all, love has no limits , love is everlasting and eternal... I am a total romantic and I happen to be married to a very down to earth logical man who sees love in a different light... but in the end the love he has for me is the most romantic thing I have ever known. It is funny cuz we got into this discussion just yesterday and he still doesn't see love the way (I thought after 10 years I would have enlightened him heheh) I do but it doesn't matter cuz I am totally head over heels in love with him! AND I LOVE VALENTINES IT IS ONE OF MY FAV HOLIDAYS!

Em said...

so snapping at each other at 2am is not a good vday gift??? lol, at least we always kiss after;-)