Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Quote by Any Other Name...


I happened upon a most wonderful blog today, penned by a man named Robert Brault. He posts his original, pithy sayings and occasionally an essay that knocks your socks off. If you fail to visit, read, and become a follower, you will be missing the boat (a yacht) entirely. Here are some excerpts to tempt you...

To err is human, to forgive does not get you the settlement that we at Suskind, Marberry and Callahan feel you're entitled to.

In many areas of understanding, none so much as in our understanding of God, we bump up against a simplicity so profound that we must assign complexities to it to comprehend it at all. It is mindful of how we paste decals to a sliding glass door to keep from bumping our nose against it.

It's finally happened...A lawsuit for wrongful doing unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Every American child can grow up to be anything he wants, and if he wants to be a United States Congressman, even growing up is optional.

Take no revenge that you have not pondered beneath a starry sky, or on a canyon overlook, or to the lapping of waves and the mewing of a distant gull.

Stubbornly persist, and you will find that the limits of your stubbornness go well beyond the stubbornness of your limits.

Never use the passing years as an excuse for old age.

And I, I took the road less traveled by. I was using a GPS system.

How often in life we complete a task that was beyond the capability of the person we were when we started it.

It is seeing ourselves in others that often prompts the remark, "There's something about that person I don't trust."

Eventually you'll realize that your mother knows exactly who you are and has been trying to break it to you gently your whole life.

After 5000 years of recorded human history, you wonder, "What part of 2,000,000 sunrises doesn't a pessimist understand?"

Optimist: someone who notices a tall hooded figure with a scythe trailing him and thinks, "Boy, I'm sure glad I'm not a stalk of wheat."

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's a cha-cha.

Optimist: someone who thinks there's even hope for pessimism.

A task may be difficult, but you have the advantage over it, for you can redouble your effort, but the task cannot redouble its difficulty.

The explanation is always longer when there isn't any.

And there are many more where these came from! Enjoy!! (I have to go finish my talk for tomorrow.)

=)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this one...Eventually you'll realize that your mother knows exactly who you are and has been trying to break it to you gently your whole life.
And...I'm pretty good at the cha cha too.
I'm going to have to go check this guy out!

Fiauna said...

I love them all. So great! I'll definitely have to check this one out.

Jess said...

I love them all, you selected good ones to tempt me to go over and check it out.

jen said...

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out when I get time. I missed your post yesterday because I was traveling, but I'm so sorry. And I wish I was there to hear you speak. What's your topic? And aren't you teaching RS sometime soon, as well?

karen said...

What a great site! Like KC Mom I loved the Optimist who thinks that one step forward and then one step back is a cha cha. His sayings make me laugh and think all at the same time, so he's perfect!

Darlene said...

These are great! I wonder if they are all original. At any rate, there is a lot of food for thought.

I too wish I could be there tomorrow to hear you give your talk. I am sure it will be excellent, as your talks always are. Wish you could come and speak in our ward. Would you consider it when you come in May?

Lisalulu said...

you had me at pithy sayings, ha

Momza said...

Pithy? Is that how "pissy" sounds with a lisp? lol
great reveiw...I'm off to his blog now!

Robert Brault said...

Sue,
Just ran across this post. I am left well-nigh speechless with gratitude. I was wondering where the recent spate of new followers came from. Now I know.

I'm so pleased with your selection of thoughts. They include many that I thought had disappeared forever into my archives. You have made me a happy quotessmith.

I'd like to say thanks to all your commenters and assure Darlene that everything I post is original.

Thanks so much,
rb