Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Our Tannenbaum Is Da Bomb!

Unadorned tree, soon to be...

DAZZLING (or a reasonable facsimile thereof).

Yes, my friends, this year's tannenbaum is da bomb, with one caveat: Our friendly Christmas tree is standing naked in a corner of the living room, watered but un-bedecked. (Truth is, the tannenbaum wouldn't even have made it this far if not for my gardeners, who allowed yours truly to talk them into putting the poor thing into a stand before it turned up its roots and died in the box.)

Yes, I said "in the box." My live, always-fresh tree comes in a box. Why? Because I finally got sick of buying trees that all-too-predictably died every year before Christmas Day arrived. You see, I usually get my tree set up early, which means I require one newly-cut enough to survive a month of sitting by the heater without turning into a Christmas stick. After one particularly appalling year, when the pine perished before I even managed to put all of the bulbs and baubles in place, I made an executive decision. I would order a tree from someplace lush and rainy, resting assured that it would be cut especially for me and shipped to my doorstep immediately. And I have to say it's the best decision I've ever made. My trees arrive fresh as a daisy, and they are still sap-filled and pliable on the day I take them down! (Thanks, Hammacher Schlemmer.)

Now all I have to do is find time (and maybe a little bit of help with the lights, Ryan) to decorate, which I'm afraid will not be until the weekend. In the meantime, though, my tree is still green, fragrant, beautiful, and chugging a quart of water every day.

So all is not lost, right?

=)

PS. I order the slim cut tree, due to space requirements, but one time I did buy the full cut and it was well-named. Very plush.

PPS. Admittedly, it isn't my favorite variety of tree, but for me, freshness trumps all other considerations.

PPPS. And yes, we did used to go and cut the trees down ourselves, but we quit doing that because of our periodic drought conditions, which tend to make the fir trees in our area a little less resilient.

7 comments:

karen said...

Sue, that is a gorgeous tree! Don't you love the way your house smells with a fresh tree glowing in the corner? Nothing like it! We have a fakey one (the last live one we had had something CHEWING inside it)due to cost considerations, but its a "slim cut" one - I love the way they look. Merry Christmas!

Amy said...

What a beautiful tree! And what a great idea to get a super fresh one. One day I will be doing that, I just decided. Have fun decorating it, and I can't wait to see the pictures!

jen said...

My question is this: why not buy artificial? I grew up with the gorgeous, fresh, live trees, but I've been convinced that artificial, day-after-Thanksgiving, pre-lit is the way to go. And I've invested in great evergreen candles, so don't tell me it's the smell.
I'd really like to know.

Susan Anderson said...

Boy, that's a good question, Jen. Part of it, for me, really IS the fragrance. The candles and sprays don't quite capture it well enough for my ridiculously picky sense of smell. Having said that, we WILL invest in a fake tree eventually, because they look more and more realistic all the time, and they come pre-lit. (A marvel in itself!) This ease of use reaaally appeals to me as I get older. I wouldn't be surprised if we change our ways in the next couple of years.

=)

Unknown said...

What a great idea! And I bet it smells nice too!

Elaine said...

That's a great idea! I am always sad to see christmas trees dying before Christmas!!


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Darlene said...

We've had our fake tree for years. Each year after Christmas, Dick wonders if it is worth storing, but I just can't find a new fake tree that I really like. Ours is not so full, which is what I like because I like to see the trunk of the tree. Our trunk is so real that noone can believe it is a fake one. That being said, I like to put the ornaments clear in to the trunk too, rather than just on the outside. We are not likely to ever get a new one!