Monday, March 14, 2011

Time, Tulips, and Testimony


Tulips and daffodils are my favorite harbingers of spring, and I'm seeing plenty of both in the last couple of weeks. Their vivid colors always brighten my spirits, but probably not as much as they lift the hearts of those who see gray skies and snow for most of the winter. We always appreciate things more when we have to wait for them, don't we?

I've been thinking about this a lot in reference to my own life and the lives of people I love. I happen to be an impatient person by nature, though life experience has mitigated that trait to a degree. Still, my tendency is to want what I want when I want it––and I usually want it now. (Yesterday would be even better!)

Happily, the years have taught me that my timetable isn't necessarily the best one. A piece of fruit plucked too early can never taste as sweet. Every slow, steady day of exposure to sun...and rain...is necessary to its growth. By the same token, a good stew (aptly named) needs to stew a bit before the full flavor can be manifested. Floral, culinary, or otherwise, a masterpiece must be created one stroke at a time.

When eager hopes begin to feel like unmet expectations––when I've been waiting forever for that first little daffodil and spring seems an eternity away––it helps to remind myself that we, and the lives we inhabit, are the Lord's masterpieces. Sometimes He lets the paint dry awhile, or introduces a new texture that is painstakingly slow in its application. For me, the process can be tedious, even excruciating, but the saving grace is this: God is the Master Artisan of our earthly experience, and He knows what He's doing. (In fact, He's rather good at it.)

Perfect,even.

And when push comes to shove, that's good enough for me.

19 comments:

anitamombanita said...

and good enough for me too! Funny that we were both thinking about time... hugs to you. :)

Doreen McGettigan said...

What a beautiful post. Impatience is an attribute I have only picked up recently. I am needing to remind my self daily to just put one foot in front of the other and wait; quietly.
I am a new visitor and follower.

http://www.doreenmcgettigan.com

larainydays said...

Your thoughts always ring true with me Sue.

Wendy said...

I hope that I can be patient with God's timing. I fail over and over again with my wanting and his timing. I must remind myself it is just as you said perfect. Thanks for the peace that this brings.

Jess said...

I love how you compared unripe fruit to impatience- that just clicked in my head. You really are a wise soul

Brian Miller said...

smiles. i like the paint drying analogy and getting used to new textures...it fits me perfect...

Lisa H. said...

I had to learn to wait on the Lord and being an impatient, first born, take charge, and Type A person, it usually took a major event to get my attention.

Thank you for sharing.

Stacy said...

This is just what I needed today. :)

Lisa Loo said...

This is a great post! I am such a work in progress. Probably a stew--always stewing about something out of my control.

yaya said...

Many thoughts come to mind with your great post. First, I really don't want to wish my life away..never being happy with the season I'm in. Second, when I do finally give in and let the Lord take over and wait for his time...it's because I'm so exhausted trying to do it all myself..and third, I really want the Lord to have patience with me, to not rush his judgements and mercies of me and thankfully he doesn't..he seems to never give up and continually blesses me..even or especially, when I don't deserve it.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful post sweet Sue. Hugs

Darlene said...

Maybe it just naturally comes with age, but I am certainly learning to enjoy each day as it comes. It's probably beacause I have finally figured out that I don't have as many of them left as I had when I was in my 50's, or even my 60's. I can remember how impatient I was for things to happen right when I wanted them to, but I guess I have finally mellowed. Not that I don't still want things to happen, but that I am willing to let things happen in good time. It just doesn't pay to get all worked up over something one doesn't have any control over. This is something I have tried to tell myself all my life. Maybe I finally got it. I wonder.

Unknown said...

Sue. THis is just what I needed to hear. As always.

Donna said...

I'm truly at fault in this post... It hits me right between the eyes. I have always been one to want instant gratification. With age, this has gotten better. I now realize how much things are worth waiting for!
There is a song our choir sings in church...it goes "kids under construction, the Lord isn't finished yet.". I think that's me...a lifelong journey of restless patience.
Beautifully written post, Sue!

karen said...

I'm sure this is what I needed to hear today. We had a huge disappointment - Zach didn't get a match for a residency - and I'm feeling sick at heart for him. But luckily there's more than one way to skin a cat (my surgeon brother didn't get a match when he was in school either and he just had to zig zag a bit). I feel we all just need to have a little faith, see where this new path leads, and all will be well by and by. Something wonderful we never would have imagined, most likely! But tonight Katie is comforting a bitterly discouraged husband, so prayers are in order.

Stef said...

See, now I can tell Hubs there is spiritual lessons in these flowers I obsess over. I think this is the best part of parenthood. Watching the blossoms of my children...in their time.

Grandma Honey said...

So true what you wrote Sue. I can relate. I'm not the most patient person either, but I have become much more so the older I've become.

Caroline said...

Amen, Sue.

I needed to hear this today. Still waiting for the first flowers to poke through the ground here and trying not to wish too hard for a bigger house with a yard. Patience. It is a virtue indeed.
:)

Momza said...

Patience. Learning to wait on the Lord is tough, but once you let go and just wait, you see things more clearly and understand how God works in perfect harmony with ALL of us together.