Wednesday, March 30, 2011

From Me to You...A Book or Two


I've sailed away on a couple of novels recently and really enjoyed the voyage, so naturally I wanted to share them with all of you.

The first is called Winter Sea, by Susanna Kearsley, and you can bet I will be reading more of this author's work. A good historical novel is exactly my cup of tea, and this one happens to be set in Scotland during the early 1700s, a favorite era (and area) for me. What's more, this author blends her own characters with the real Jacobite players so seamlessly that I simply could not put the book down. She does complete justice to the details of an uprising that could have put Prince James (Stuart) on the throne while artfully taking the reader to a venue so enchanting and compelling that it becomes almost another character. Using the book-within-a-book technique, alternating between two time periods, and injecting a hint of the supernatural that still manages to be mostly believable, Susanna Kearsley creates what can only be called a refreshingly good read. I would compare her voice to Mary Stewart's, and that is no small tribute. Don't get me wrong, the novel isn't earth-shattering or life-changing. It is, however, as thoroughly enjoyable as the proverbial warm fire on a winter evening (with hot chocolate, whipped cream, and some good-smelling candles thrown in for effect). Even better, it's long! I still found myself wishing more pages would mysteriously appear as I reached the end.

The second book, by Susan Fraser King, is called Queen Hereafter and chronicles the reign of Margaret of Scotland, a medieval queen of compassion and intelligence. While historical details are limited, King remains as true to them as possible, adding delightful bits and pieces of story line to flesh out a foundation based in truth. This book has many colors and is at once light and a little bit broody. Even better, it entertains without becoming fluff or anything approaching it. In fact, Queen Hereafter is by turns moving, amusing, and somewhat unsettling, with a subtle magic all its own.

Both are on Kindle and probably at the library. If not, Barnes and Noble is a good bet. Whichever way you go, give these a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed!

=)

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Both books sound great! It has been so long since I read a book without big picture in it.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Thanks for the great reviews girl!!!

I just wanted to apologize. I didn't realize that the pics in my last post did not show to anyone but me. Sorry!!! I've reposted usin' Photobucket so pop over if ya get a chance.

God bless and have a wonderful day sweetie!! :o)

CB said...

Oooooo I am ready for a new book now that the crazyness is over. Right now I am reading Water For Elephants but I am going to put these on my list.
Anything described as a "refreshingly good read" and I am on it.

jen said...

You haven't let me down yet. I'm willing to trust you again!

Caroline said...

Sue, thank you so much for the reviews. Historical novels happen to be my favorite too and the 18th century is a period I find super fascinating as well.

A good review is worth the weight in gold these days--so again--thank you. We venture to the library frequently, so I will look for these on my next visit!

Julie said...

Hello Sue! It seems like we are both always commenting on the same blogs so I decided to check YOU out, and I like what I see. :)

larainydays said...

Thanks so. I love a good recommendation.

Stacy said...

I'm always looking for a good author. Thanks for the recommendations.

Stef said...

Just ordered them on Amazon. I'm getting my reading groove on. I have been off for about 6 months, unable to get through any book. But I'm back and these are on the top of my pile. Whoot.

Connie said...

I'm going to check at our library for these books. They both sound like good reads.

yaya said...

Thanks for the reviews..always in the market for a new read..I don't know what I'd do without a book in my hand! One day I'll move up to the kindle..or what ever is next in the teckie age!

karen said...

Thanks Sue! I was on the hunt for a good book to read next. I finished the Bakow Book Club one a week after it was announced.
I see Cherie is reading Water For Elephants. I was thinking of that one too. I took your recommendation and read On the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and it was really good.

Unknown said...

Both of those sound perfect to me! I am going to see if I can find one at the airport this weekend!

Darlene said...

Both of these sound good and I will be reading them in the near future. I have about six books that Chris gave me when we were there. She has about 500 books in her garage, left over from a book sale she did for charity. She still keeps getting more donations so is going to have another sale.

I love historical novels so will definitely be looking forward to these two.

Unknown said...

SUE! I am going to pack these in my hospital bag. Thanks for the tips.

I've missed you. Sorry for being gone, but always glad to come back to you!

Myrna Foster said...

Were they pretty clean? I love historical fiction, but so much of the recent stuff is full of yuck. These both sound lovely. I love the time period and the country.

Grandma Honey said...

Well you know it's good when you want more pages to appear at the end! And I'm sure your friend Myrna does not have to worry about them being clean. I trust you totally on that.

LeAnn said...

Loved your comments on the books. I love to read and it sounds so fun to sit by the fire with hot chocolate and just enjoy the page turning.
I love the 1700's through the 1800's era so I am sure I would enjoy these. Also, my ancestory is from Scotland.
Blessings to you! LeAnn

alpinekleins said...

OooOO! Sounds like some good reads . . . I LOVE Mary Stewart! Historical fiction, 1700's, count me in :)

Kristin

SM said...

well said
there is no frigate like a book

Lisa Loo said...

I am with everyone else that said a good, trusted review is worth its weight in gold! I am so tired of buying books, only to have to throw them in the trash! Thanx for taking the time to share.

Amy said...

I love getting lost in a good book. And those sound delightful.

Jess said...

I so love all of your book recommendations- best picks! Muchas Gracias Senora!