Thursday, May 10, 2012

You Create Yourself...and So Do I


I find myself fixated upon drawn to a message of empowerment this week, probably motivated by personal need. It seems one of my favorite purposes for this blog is reminding myself of things I already know but haven't been putting into practice (or at least, shoving them from the back to the front of my mind).

I have a nasty habit when I'm busy or preoccupied of going on automatic pilot and running myself right out of gas. What's worse, I never seem to notice the problem until I'm on dead empty...or maybe a little beyond. The signs are always the same: low energy, pesky little health issues, loss of enthusiasm, spiritual lethargy, and a kind of overeating but undernourishing that fails to satisfy. I'm sorry to say that I generally don't slow down and stop for a refill until I literally have no other choice. (Being still has never been my strong suit.) And being stuck is a poor substitute.

For most of us, being stuck is a failure of imagination...and staying stuck is offering that failure a chair. "Come on in and sit a spell," our passive selves beckon...and not because we're feeling hospitable, but because we aren't feeling much of anything at all. Since lack of feeling is death to imagination, the problem winds up holding the cure hostage, with the end result being the very inertia of which I'm speaking.

The good news is that the deadlock is self-imposed, which means we have the power to break it. When our level of dysfunction/disengagement becomes intolerable (or long before, if we have any sense), we can do what I've been doing this week: remember that we have the power to create in ourselves all the joy, fulfillment, and possibility we are willing to embrace. How? By actively engaging with and taking ownership of our lives...mindfully choosing every line, shape, and color therein.

The power is ours, God-given. We create ourselves moment by moment, actively or passively, for good or for ill. In every way imaginable and by divine intent, we are the artists of our own lives, but we must pick up the brush, pen, mallet, or chisel before we can draw, write, pound, or sculpt our way to the happiness we are seeking. It's all on us, and where much is given, much is expected.

Thankfully, art is Art, and God is in it. No matter what materials we are handed...whether our hearts feel like fresh canvas, scrapped paper, or cracked stone...our creative spirits still have what it takes to mark ourselves with beauty and grace.

Of course, we do need to remember from Whom that grace flows.

=)

click here for more Y posts

32 comments:

Naperville Now said...

"We are the artists of our own lives." A beautiful post, Sue.

anitamombanita said...

Great post, Sue! I need to yank the chair out from under any unwelcome spiritual or emotional (or even physical) visitors! :)

Unknown said...

I think I neglected the artist in me for so long....I'm afraid it's gone.
I can't even find words to blog about right now.
I know your mojo flows well!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Sue this post probably hits home with way too many of us.
It is written from the heart and I so needed to read it this morning. THIS is one of those post I need to print out and read often.
I love how you remind us that the power is ours, God given.
If I don't get back over here before Mother's Day I hope you have a wonderful special day.
Your an awesome Mom.
Love ya
Maggie

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Oh Sue, I am always looking forward to read your inspiring post! I'm copying this line: "...actively engaging with and taking ownership of our lives...mindfully choosing every line, shape, and color therein" to put it on my desktop as a reminder.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Jo said...

"We are the artists of our own lives." just beautiful words, how empowering and fluid and creative ...

Brian Miller said...

i like this...we def give power away when we invite that in for a sit...i agree on the lack of creativity as well...this is why to me writers block is a myth...and the only way out is to write...and i think much can be said the same of other things in our life...

karen said...

Thank you thank you! What a great bit of inspiration to take into the week! Since TOFW last week, I've been making small tweaks and adjustments here and there and I've felt the difference. I'm having a very good week, but need to remember to keep filling up to continue the momentum.

Unknown said...

What an uplifting post. You have gift for expressing yourself eloquently.

Stacy said...

Oh to be able to sit with you and listen to the wisdom. I loved this post!

Esther Joy said...

I had one of those weeks where I pushed myself too hard and then found myself crashed and with little energy. This post was awesome with so much wisdom that I need to remember and put to practice!

Connie said...

This is what I have needed this past month! Thank you for bringing it to light.

Caroline said...

I agree, Sue. The ultimate Creator made us in His image so, it's no wonder we are creative beings too! :) Sometimes it's easy to take our God-given gifts for granted even because, since they were gifted to us, they came easily. But I need to remember they were gifted for a reason.

By the way, I do some of the same things you do when I'm running myself out of gas--and sometimes it takes me awhile too to notice that I need a refill.

Judie said...

Rod is forever fussing at me for not pacing myself. Your posts are always so inspirational and creative, Sue. I need to be more like you!!

Darlene said...

I admire you so much, Sue, I really do. You have developed so much wisdom in your life thus far. You ARE the artist of your own life.

Grandma Honey said...

I so agree Sue.
Your post reminds me of a message I just saw on Facebook today:
"Life has no remote.
Get up and change it yourself."

Just like you are saying...the power is ours.

LeAnn said...

I think your post today might just be an answer to prayer. This has been a hard Inner City Week and I have kind of hit a moment when I just don't want to do anything. You could say that I am non motivated and I feel empty. Thanks for putting it into perspective.
Blessings to you Sue and have a wonderul Mother's Day.

Joy For Your Journey said...

What a beautiful post!! And so true. I often like to read the story about the creation and look for patterns of creating that I can apply to my own life. Unfortunately I often get too caught up in just living to follow through. found your post very inspiring though and have vowed to do better!

Leovi said...

I'd like to help in all those matters that have been pending.

The Poet said...

My dear Sue,
Yes, some of us can relate to this. Self confidence is also very important. Great post my friend.

Pondside said...

Does this happen to men? Do they go, go, go until they hit a wall?
This post will most likely say something to many of us, Sue. It certainly describes how I am, from time to time. I have to admit that this week has one or two moment, but the older I get, the better I am at seeing what's going on and guiding myself back to the Light.

Gattina said...

Very true post ! concerns a lot of us !

Anonymous said...

Sue, I feel like I could have written parts of this myself. You have expressed so eloquently how I feel, and given me a reminder that the power to create is in each of us. Thank you so much!
-Judee (write tuit)

jen said...

You took the words right out of my sugary mouth--overeating but undernourished. Why do we do this to ourselves?

momto8 said...

great post!
maybe we all just need to chill sometimes too!

Vicki/Jake said...

Yet we always seem to find our way back, don't we. My favorite quote has always been...'Life's what YOU make it'. My kids will probably etch it on my headstone:)

Lola said...

Hi again!

Visiting from Mrs Matlock’s, many thanks for stopping by.

Great post – so apt.

Have a great Mother’s Day weekend too!

Ames said...

I push myself everyday and truly crash at the end of everyday. I keep doing it because I need to know I am alive. Sometimes one get's in a rut and they either let themselves sink or look to a higher power for a means to keep going. He is my strength and my reason.~Ames

Mormon Women: Who We Are said...

Linked to this today. Great post!

http://mormonwoman.org/2012/05/15/from-being-stuck-to-being-still/

Splendid Little Stars said...

so, so true! We need to remember this constantly. I'm making more effort in enjoying and appreciating my life. I like the idea of an artist with a paintbrush creating one's own life moment by moment.

Tonya said...

This was so needed and true!! Loved this!!!

Jenny said...

Loved this Miss Sue. I had to check my calendar really quick to make sure I didn't miss your Birthday! I have it for the 31st but now I read this is the UNbirthday song!

Thanks for some very relevant reminders!

Thanks for sharing your words here.

Hugs and A+