Friday, February 24, 2012

Welcome to my Book Binge

(Or at least, I do!)

I've been enjoying some very good reads lately and am happy to spread the news about three authors who were entirely new to me last month but are well on the way to becoming old friends. If you aren't already aware of their talents, I hope you will consider looking into them. Perhaps you will even embrace them as I have.

The first is Marcia Willett, whose books come as close to Rosamunde Pilcher's as any I've run across. Set in the English countryside and peopled with charming, quirky, and mostly endearing characters are "A Week in Winter," "The Way We Were," and "A Summer in the Country." The next Willett novel I intend to swallow in one gulp (just can't seem to put them down) is "The Children's Hour." Needless to say, I'm ready to dive right in!

Simply beautiful is Kent Haruf's novel, "Plainsong." This author's writing, lean and intense as Hemingway but far more graceful on the mind, imbues commonplace events with a soft luster that pulled me in gently yet held me fast, unable (or unwilling) to look away. Haruf places his readers in deep water, but the waves roll in slowly and shimmer. I will be reading the sequel, "Eventide," as soon as time allows.

Sandra Dallas rounds out my group of three, and I thoroughly enjoyed "The Diary of Mattie Spenser," "The Persian Pickle Club," "Tallgrass," and "Alice's Tulips." I'll be sure to visit her other work too, as I love nothing better than a good book about women and the ties that bind them...to each other and to their families. I think you will find that Ms. Dallas fills that bill with style, sensitivity, a touch of mystery, and a sense of history.

What could be better?

=)

Click above to vote for one of my favorite people:
Caroline of Salsa Pie. (It's easy...no signing up!)

21 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Good for you. I love ME pictures. They are so awesome. How can I get a better love for reading? I used to like to.

Unknown said...

THANK YOU. I am out of books and needed some good recommendations. If you had to start with only one, which would it be?

Unknown said...

Oh good! I needed some new ideas!

Em said...

i just indulged myself at barnes and noble and bought three books from the buy 2 get one free table. we shall see if they spark me. i've been in a funk ever since paige and nicholas...

larainydays said...

I love your recommendations Sue. Thanks.

Brian Miller said...

nice...i love to read...and i am always looking for new authors...will def check out the middle one...

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Sue I always love it when you tell us what you love.
Nothing makes me happier than ending my night with a good book in my hand. Especially if it is one I can't put down. I will write these down and after I finish my read now I will start on one of these. Can't wait.
Last week I read Unbroken and can not get that book out of my mind.
Good writers do that to you.
Have a wonderful weekend
Love
Maggie

yaya said...

Thanks for the recommends...I'm out of a good read right now and I always have to have something to read at work during lunch...I've resorted to a few re-reads this week! Pathetic I know..so now I can try one of these. Thanks!

Darlene said...

I like the ones I've read, but it looks like I still have more to read from these authors. I made a list of the ones I don't have, so will get with you when I have read all the ones you did send me. Good thing we have the same taste in books.

Pondside said...

I'm always so happy to have a recommendation. Marcia Willett I've read, but the others are new to me.

Caroline Ray said...

Thank you, Sue. I now know what to look for in the library. Lately, I am stuck in children's literature because my 11 year old son refers many books to me. I will be excited to check these out! By the way, your comment on Freaskshow Friday was by far the best. I belly laughed!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Marcia Willet looks to be right up my alley. Of course, I just decided to reread the John Makes trilogy" North and South" for the first time in almost 20 years......that will take me a while.... :-)

Terra said...

Nothing better than a book binge! I just polished a few great reads myself...I think I should blog about them!

Terra said...

PS - I like this linky thing but their site is super slow this morning...at least from my end...So though I set up an account it is not allowing me to log in and follow you...I will keep trying!

Donna said...

These sound like some good reads, thanks for the recommends. I love to read and it was nice to take a book along on my mission trip to enjoy in spare moments. Wish I had more of them lately but since I've returned to the work force full time, it's hard to find those "spare moments" lately.
My favorite ending to a day is reading and when the book hits me three times in the face, I know it's time to turn out the light...ha!

Brian Miller said...

i hope you have a lovely weekend sue!

anitamombanita said...

So many good books, so little time. These are all new to me. Thanks for the recommend.

Lindsey Buck said...

Fantastic! I'm always looking for book recommendations. Do you have a Goodreads account?

Connie said...

I LOVE a good book! Thanks for sharing some of your favorites.

Claudia said...

I have really enjoyed all of Sandra Dallas books. I will have to check out the other authors that you mentioned.

Grandma Honey said...

You make them sound so enticing. I'm usually not up much for fiction, but I do love stories of women's lives, so maybe so...