Monday, February 27, 2012

In the Soup

THE PICTURE PROMPT: from MAGPIE TALES

Warhol at the drug store

In the Soup
©2012 Susan Noyes Anderson

I spill my soup sometimes
when I start sipping
or leave a bit of bubbly
on the floor.
I think I’m sinking;
maybe I’m just slipping,
but towels won’t keep me
dry, not anymore.

If paper (rolled by Scott)
could wipe this mess up,
I’d stock my shelves and
count myself redeemed.
But old Black Velvet never
lets me fess up.
And black-and-white?
Much grayer than it seemed.

Again, the fog invades.
I'm in the soup, with shades.

“Don't pay any attention to what they write about you.
Just measure it in inches.” –Andy Warhol

The quote = justification for taking poetic license here.

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO
MY DARLING DAUGHTER!

21 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

Sue, I love you! Always feeding my poetry appetite! :)

Brian Miller said...

yay happy birthday to your daughter!

and nice dance in your words...ah i know all about being in the soup....ha...smiles...maybe i need to wear shades...smiles.

Kathe W. said...

it's not far to stoop
When you're in the soup!
Good one!
and a big Happy Birthday to your
daughter!

Little Nell said...

Oooh the fog invades - I know that feeling!

Unknown said...

What fun! I love this!

karen said...

A very happy birthday to daughter Karin! Is she in the soup?

Doctor FTSE said...

Yes, many, many Happy Returns to your daughter.

anitamombanita said...

Happy Bday to that lovely girl!!

yaya said...

To your daughter: "Happy Birthday"! To you: "Congrats on a fun poem with the perfect verse for the picture prompt"..sounds like I just gave you an award..I should not have watched any of the Oscars I guess!

Gail said...

Great job...I shall have to check out this challenge!

Ames said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! They grow up fast don't they. ~Ames

Helen said...

I love 'in the soup with shades' sounds like fun!

Unknown said...

Birthday wishes to your daughter. I hope her day was happy, and I would love to have your recipe for soup...... it sounds so smooth, somewhat euphoric and deliciously rye. =D

Karen Mortensen said...

Cute, cute.

jen said...

And my art history self loved the reference to Mr. Warhol.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Cute!

Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Great words!

Jinksy said...

What, no voice singing Happy Birthday to go with this post? Shame!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

You are witty and creative to be the band! GREAT job! Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Em said...

i spill my soup. a lot.

Darlene said...

This is a good one, Sue.

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm a dribbler...