Friday, February 3, 2012

The Greatest Generation


It's kind of ironic that I don't have time to do my Walk Down Memory Lane post today. Why? Because what I AM doing is writing down a whole bunch of memories in a poem that I will be presenting tomorrow night at a dinner honoring all the men and women in our stake who were born in 1940 and before. Fun idea, right?

Of course, my husband's singles ward is putting this shindig on, and the planning committee asked me to pull out all the stops and write a nostalgic piece of poetry "remembering" the Greatest Generation in all their glory. Soooo, I'm going big with a mix of history, pop culture, humor, and trivia that I hope will make them feel like singing Thanks for the Memories, Bob Hope style! With any luck, they will be touched, tickled, and teary by the time we're through. (That's right; I am not the big event. I'm just the introduction.) After my bit, our multi-talented singles ward will be putting on a variety show that should put Ed Sullivan to shame, including music and humor from the very generation we are honoring. Yes, folks, this is going to be one fun evening!

Anyway, I gotta get back to work. There are rhymes left to be made...and heartstrings left to be pulled. Wish me luck, okay?


;)

15 comments:

Lisalulu said...

I hope you will share the entertainment with us... with pictures and wit and thought and rhymes!

Unknown said...

I'm sure you'll be a big success!

moana said...

Can't wait to hear it.

Darlene said...

I know the poem will be terrific! But, I must say that I am really disappointed that you aren't going down memory lane. I really do look forward to your remembrance of things you did in the past. So now I will just have to look forward to next Fridays post. I do hope you will post your poem that are are writing for tomorrow though. I know I won't be the only one that will want to read it!

larainydays said...

Good luck Sue. Not that you'll need it

Gail said...

I can't wait!!!

Photos, please, or a video later, but tomorrow, da bomb!

Pondside said...

Wow! Sue you are the busiest woman I 'know'!
I hope there'll be a clip or two for us to enjoy when it's all over.

Tiffany said...

Hope your presentation went well.

Tiffany

Dinejo said...

that's all memories... like it..

www.lintang.tk
www.getinsurance.tk

Unknown said...

That sounds like a fantastic idea! What a great idea. I know your poem will be the perfect 'opening'!

Annesphamily said...

Oh Sue, please share lots of photos! I always appreciate your sweet face at my blog! Come visit often! Enjoy the party and weekend!

kaykuala said...

That would be great Sue! You get to present the intro,you're part of it. We'll wait for the pics or vid.

Hank

Brian Miller said...

nice...so are you going to post that poem for us to read too? how did it go?

Grandma Honey said...

I hope they don't mind if you take lots of pictures, because I'd really like to see how this comes together. What a great idea. unfortunately, we have too few older people in our ward to ever pull something like this off.

Connie said...

I hope the event went well and you share your poem with us.