Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mourning Madness


I'm hurrying through Ms. Matlock's Saturday Centus this morning so I can watch the general conference of my church. Today's prompt, courtesy of Mr. Jenny, is a truck driver's dream. (Me? Not so much.) Nonetheless, I have added my hundred words in an attempt to complete the story. As always, the prompt is in red.

∞§∞

Mourning Madness
©2011 Susan Noyes Anderson

Her hands clenched the wheel. Exit 181, ½ mile ahead. The murder scene, or what should have been declared one. How that sniveling skank got off with little more than a time-out was beyond explanation. It wasn’t so much the Vicodin, though Sarah found little forgiveness for that either, extenuating circumstances notwithstanding. It was the total lack of remorse after the little witch sobered up.

“He shoulda pulled off the road more; his tire wasn't on the shoulder.” The self-serving testimony rang in Sarah’s ears. What part of "blow-out" didn’t that girl understand?

Laying her son's Easter basket against the bent pole, Sarah imagined blowing his killer out of the witness stand (Vicodin and vehicle not required).

∞§∞

23 comments:

21 Wits said...

Oh no! What a suspensive way to travel with the prompt....! Great writing....!

Ames said...

Ut oh. Sarah's got a gun. Will revenge be sweet for momma?~Ames

Kim Lehnhoff said...

Wow! Loved this. And you're the second submission that I've read the word 'skank' in...wonder what that means?

Maria said...

Intriguing! I certainly want to read on...

Unknown said...

A mother's worst nightmare! I have no idea what I would do in a similar situation and hope to never find out!

Judie said...

I am a FIRM believer for stronger sentences for people who drive impaired and leave death and destruction in their wake. I don't know why some people get off so lightly.

Amy said...

Powerful! And it really is a mother's worst nightmare. I cannot imagine.

Rek Sesh said...

Sad and angry all at once....enjoyed this one. maybe she can file a court case?

Dazee Dreamer said...

That was very nice and heart wrenching.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

great story. It makes me think of the crosses that folks put up on highways where loved ones have died.

Nonna said...

An excellent story Sue ! Sadly, one that is played out daily across the world...

Jess said...

A mom's worst nightmare. I have such strong opinions on that one too- I work for an orthopedic doctor and so many people call for a party refill on Friday afternoon, it makes me crazy!

Karen Mortensen said...

Wow. This was something.

Stacy said...

I want to know more.

We enjoyed general conference here too. I hope you had a great day.

Myrna Foster said...

Is this part of a larger story then?

Conference today was great. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's talks.

anitamombanita said...

awesome! I love that it's so not like you. Hope you enjoyed Conference as much as I did!!

jfb57 said...

I can hear the da da da daaa music in the background! Great post!

jeff campbell said...

Such drama and sadness at Exit 181...well done...Peace and blessings

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

Sue, this is so thrilling - in a sad way. Your word choice - Vicodin and all - is so strong. Now, let's all go after that scum.
xoRobyn

Jo said...

raw ... powerful ... i would want to do the same thing ...

Grandma Honey said...

Scary! Whoa.
I'm always amazed how you can write so much and paint such huge pictures in such little space.

cj Schlottman said...

Sue,

You never cease to amaze me. The idea of the Easter basket was so touching and visual. It is genius for you to take this prompt and create and interesting and visual PSA about drunk and impaired drivers. As Judie said, these people all to often get away with murder.

Thanks, Friend..........cj

Jenny said...

Hell hath no fury like a mother avenging her child. What a rivetting story, Sue.

I suspect there's more truth in this than fiction for so many. Sad and heart-wrenching and an amazing read like always.