Wednesday, January 14, 2009

C-Jane-Rule the Blogosphere!

Well, it looks as if cjane may actually be proclaimed the big winner of the 2008 Weblog Awards, assuming that she doesn't get a bunch of votes removed as final counts are checked.

This probable victory does my heart good, because it demonstrates that a number of readers have actually been attracted by wholesome, intelligent humor and plain old goodness. Not that she doesn't encounter naysayers from time to time, but these are definitely in the minority. To tell the truth, the whole thing almost restores my faith in humanity!

Having said that, I am truly puzzled by people who visit a blog with the express purpose of attacking or denigrating the writer. Is hurling insults a form of entertainment for these commenters, or are they just trying to bolster their own justifiably sagging self esteem by lashing out at others? Either way, I am unimpressed by their tactics, and every negative word they write tells a little bit more about who they are...which is ironic, considering that many of them choose to comment anonymously.

The following overused but highly applicable poem, by Roe Parham Fulkerson, is dedicated to them:

I watched them tearing a building down,
a gang of men in a busy town;
with a heave-ho and a lusty yell,
they swung a beam, and the building fell.

I asked the foreman, "Are these men skilled,
and the men you'd hire if you had to build?"
He gave a laugh and said, "No, indeed.
Just common labor is all I need;
I can easily wreck in a day or two
what builders have taken a year to do."

And I thought to myself as I went my way,
Which of these roles have I tried to play?
Am I a builder who works with care,
measuring life by the rule and square?

Am I shaping my deeds to a well-made plan,
patiently doing the best I can?
Or am I a wrecker who walks the town,
content with the labor of tearing down?

(Read it and weep, mean people.)

On a happier note, I was terrifically excited to learn that Stephanie, cjane's sister, will be back on January 16th with nieniedialogues. What a trooper that woman clearly is, and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to hearing her "voice" again. 

2 comments:

Snarky Belle said...

I LOVE SUE!!

Thank you so much for your comment. It has been an interesting day to say the least. I have been called almost every name in the book...not the good ones either. :)

I am really thrilled with CJane's award as well. And of course that her sister is well enough to return to the crazy world of blogging.

Em said...

well, not two days, but if you leave the house and come back in it will smell a bit fishy that night. i burn the salt city candles to help:-) but it doesn't bother me very much (this might be b/c of my half moon bay roots though). you should try it and see! it is SUPER healthy, filling, and very tasty. can't wait to hear how it goes. i want to know what you think!