Monday, November 29, 2010

We Gathered Together...

We gathered together to ask the Lord's blessing.
(He gave it.)

Group A - all present and accounted for.

Group B - ready to rumble (their stomachs are, anyway...).

After-dinner melange of tables A and B.

Table chatter about lenses and such for the photog bunch,

whilst Carli and Daddy look on...

and a couple of good guys give me a head start on the dishes!

Isn't my nephew cute? Too bad he gets sick for the duration. =(

Grandma looks happy to be done making her rolls and gravy.

And we are ALL happy for some family time and See's candy.

(I belong in the striped chair that is front and center.)
I like being front and center.

Closing Thanksgiving day out with a movie in the family room.

As you can see, it's been a wonderful ride, though I have to admit that Thanksgiving day was a bit of a roller coaster here and there. My infamous oven malfunctioned (not for the first time) and gave us fits...but somehow, the food emerged relatively intact, and we had a great meal. The companionship around two people-packed tables was perfect, and our little family program afterward (based upon this post from Momza) was warm and inspirational. When all the sharing was said and done, I gave each person a square of saddle leather that had the following inscribed on the front and back respectively: "apple pie or leather" and "press on, hope ever." Interestingly, my youngest son, Todd, ate his.

That same Todd also broke his arm (radial head fracture) playing basketball Saturday morning. SUCH A DRAG. Apparently, all they do with that kind of break is put it in a sling, so it's quite a bothersome injury to have...Especially when you have to take the plane home and will be traveling again December 7th and 19th for medical school interviews. I really feel bad for him and would ask those of you who go in for such things to keep him in your prayers.

The last of the company (Matt, Heather, and grandkids) will fly home today, but they and Todd will be back for Christmas in just three weeks or so, which eases the sting. So does listening to Christmas carols, which is one of my favorite things to do. In that spirit, I hope you take a minute or two to check out the video below. It makes me want to shout Hallelujah! =)

(You'll want to go to the right sidebar and scroll up a bit to turn off my playlist so you can experience this in all its glory...)

20 comments:

Momza said...

First, you're so like me in that having family home just fixes my life!
Second, what an example you are, to take a thought and run with it!
Love the cut leather idea. Not so much the eating of it, though. Your boy must have a steel gut. lol
So glad your holiday was memorable!

Unknown said...

Looks like an amazing Thanksgiving to be had at your house! Sorry about the broken arm though, what a bummer to happen at such a great time.
That video was incredible! I was just crying! I wish that would happen to me at the mall!

larainydays said...

The food court Hallelujah made me cry. Thanks for sharing it.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

It looks like you had an awesome time! That's wonderful. I LOVE that flash mob video! too cool!

Amy said...

What a great Thanksgiving for you! I love that it was so wonderful. And that is hard about the arm. Ouch! It has been said that Mormon basketball is the only brawl that begins with a prayer. I think that probably holds true for Mormons playing basketball in general. Just a rough sport for us! :)

Lisa Loo said...

Loved your comments on your Thanksgiving pictures :0)

Praying for your son

I keep saying that it would be the most lovely of things to walk through life having random acts of music performed.

How cool must it have been to be Handel and hear this in your head and then be able to put it all to paper!

Cheryl said...

What these folks did was amazing. Gave me chills.

Sorry Todd got broken. Other than that, it sounds like a great time was had by all.

I remember how the power of prayer helped Todd before. Count me in!

Grandma Honey said...

I really enjoyed your pictures one by one. Family~ It's what it's all about.

But now are you as exhausted as I am?

jen said...

I'm sending Tucker over here to watch your video. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca Talley said...

Looks like you had so much fun--except for the broken arm. Thanks for sharing. Love the photos.

Karen Mortensen said...

Glad all went well with you and your family. Looked like a lot of fun.
I love that video. Where were they?

Lisalulu said...

cooking, Crafting (leather)< entertaining AND taking pictures. Man you do it all don't you. love love love the pic's because it shows the love in your family

CB said...

I love seeing your whole crew having a happy Thanksgiving together. To me that is just about as good as it gets - Happy Happy Happy!
The video...I LOVED! What a super cool thing to have happen in the food court. I enjoyed seeing all the people taking pictures and movies - they were probably just so shocked. It was amazing.

Katie said...

Sue your Thanksgiving looks so cozy! How nice to have so much family all gathered together and love that you all watched a movie together afterwards.

karen said...

Hallelujah!! I had tears in my eyes watching/llstening to that. How awesome would that have been to witness?
Your family Thanksgiving looked wonderful - exactly what I wish I could have had. Maybe one day we'll all be able to be together in one place again. I'm so glad it was a good time together.
Will be thinking and praying for Todd. It's a nervewracking time ahead - he should know he has many people in his corner!

Stef said...

I love big family get togethers. This year, my parents were gone, so ours was a smaller gathering. So your pictures ring a bell in my heart.
We will keep your son in our prayers for sure.
And if that happened at my mall, I would totally join in. Really, that would be awesome!!!

Caroline said...

Sue, I am so glad you had a nice thanksgiving--but so sorry to hear about your son's broken arm! I hope he mends quickly!! Your pictures were lovely--you have such a great crew.
The video was beautiful. I am still choked up. I needed that today, so thank you.
love, Caroline

Unknown said...

Love your leaf textured image!

Darlene said...

Having broken my elbow not too many years ago, I can feel for Todd. All that physical therapy is pretty painful, but so necessary if he is to get back his full range of motion, which he badly needs. I am sure he will do it right though, He is nothing if not intelligent about such matters. The pictures were really fun. I especially loved mine in my three layers of clothing with my purple sweater on top. I looked like I had gained about twenty pounds. The funny thing is that this is the first Thanksgiving ever that I didn't gain weight. In fact I lost two and a half pounds. Isn't that unbelievable? I do have many great memories about this Thanksgiving. Thanks Sue, you were a great hostess.

Jess said...

It sounds like the day was perfect (not counting the malfunctioning oven-grrr) family, food and fun- in that order too!