Saturday, May 8, 2010

A Song for My Mother

What song shall I sing for my mother? What key?

Which chords own the notes that will set her joy free?

Was psalm ever born that could raise her hopes high

as the million bright stars she has hung in my sky?

Might one interval be so deep and so wide

that the dreams of her heart could rest safely inside?

Which chorus would ring through her soul like a bell,

proclaiming in cadence what words cannot tell...

that she is a mother of infinite worth,

whose opus has played since the day of my birth?

What song shall I sing for my mother? What key?

Which chords own the notes that will set her joy free?
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

One melody answers, in strains weak and strong.

Its verses are mine, every line, right or wrong.

I sing for my mother...I've sung all along.

My life is the song.

Happy Mother's Day to my mom...and to every mom.
May the lives of your children be the sweetest songs of your heart.


PS. Did you check out my new post on the Mormon Women site?

PPS. You will be doing yourself a BIG favor if you go over here and read Robert Brault's post, entitled "Why Not Flowers and Lace?". Not only is he the very best of writers, but Robert almost always get it right. And this time is no exception.

PPPS. And, finally, if any of you girls in Arizona want to book a session with Heather at Tendershootz, she will be in and around the Mesa area from Monday, May 10th to Wednesday, May 12th and still has some openings. =)

17 comments:

NBlake said...

Happy Mother's Day! You are a great mom and have raised some of my favorite people in the world!

Jess said...

Sue- your mama is a lucky lady to have you. What a lovely poem! Happy Mother's day.

Janis said...

Absolutely beautiful! You are so talented! Happy Mother's Day to you!!!

mtcattitudeofgratitude.blogspot.com said...

Loved your poem. The way we live our lives it the thing that brings joy to our moms.
Happy Mother's Day to a dear Friend and wonderful mother!

Karen Mortensen said...

Very nice. Loved it. The pictures were great.

Darlene said...

Sue, I had to stop crying before I could even write this. I thought all the other things you said about mothers and Mother's Day were beautiful and truly, after reading this, it tops everything. I love your words. Your talent awes me. But the sentiment is felt and I hope that all mothers that read this will feel the sentiment just as I did. I also enjoyed the music. Josh Bell plays the Meditation from Thais the most like I did. Maybe that is why you like it so much! Thank you again for making my day.

karen said...

I think this poem is one of my favorite ones. Beautiful, beautiful! I think I will share it with my mom, if you don't mind. (But I will give you full credit!)
Have a wonderful day tomorrow - I'll be thinking about you!

alpinekleins said...

All the comments and beautiful graphics are inspiring . . . . ah . . . basking in the day :)

Kristin

Robert Brault said...

Sue, I second all the comments here. There is such melody in your lines that you might legitimately take credit as both lyricist and composer. I thank you also for the endorsement.

Happy Day,
rb

Joy For Your Journey said...

Oh, that is so beautiful!! I love it. And it is so true. Our lives really are the song we sing. THanks for the reminder of that.

And Happy MOther's Day!

Jenny said...

Holy my goodness.

Did you write that?

That was beautiful and amazing...

And definitely filled with bluebirds and musical notes!

Absolutely lovely!

Matt said...

Mom,

I agree with NBlake. You are a great mom and I like most of the people you have raised very much. Happy Mother's Day.

Respectfully Submitted,

Matthew D. Anderson

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Sue
So very glad I got up out of bed long enough to read your post. OMG this is most beautiful writing for a mother I have read in a very very long time. I love it Sue and your precious for sharing it with us.
Thank you so much for the get well wishes and the comment about celiacs disease for my daughter.
We both appreicate you taking the time to write us.
Happy Mothers Day
Love
Maggie

Nancy said...

What a beautiful, beautiful poem. Thanks for writing and sharing it.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Beautiful, as always.
I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Braden Bell said...

Beautiful! "Million bright stars she has hung in my sky"--that is really extraordinarily lovely.

Em said...

happy mother's day!