Wednesday, May 12, 2010

James Taylor & Carole King...Better than the Best I've Seen

It was a night to remember.

Old friends and good memories,

shared by an arena of people

without much agenda at all

except having a GREAT time

with two of the best performers of the 60's.
(And they're only getting better!)

The first half was a dressed-up version,

with most of the old gang from the Troubadour days,

including amazing guitarist Danny Kortchmar.

The old gang partied up a storm,

and we were the beneficiaries.

Sometimes the mood was soft and smooth

(just like James Taylor's voice)...

and other times, it got down and dirty...

like JT on Steamroller

(harmonica and all).

Sing that bad boy, James... ;)

Carole wasn't afraid to strut her stuff, either.

She's a great performer, with plenty of pizzazz on stage...

And JT is simply my favorite performer ever.

(I kinda get the impression he's Carole's, too.) Ahem.

Yep...she's definitely got a friend...

In fact, they both do! (And the audience was feelin' it, too.)

All I can say is...AMAZING show, and it had one of the largest audiences (16,000) in San Jose Pavilion's history. Well-deserved, I might add. Honestly, it was like listening to the soundtrack of my youth, and I loved it. From Smackwater Jack and Been to Canaan to Sweet Baby James to It's Too Late to Fire and Rain, You've Got a Friend and back again, the evening was perfect. Two of the highlights were Carole belting out "You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman" and James absolutely rocking the house with "Steamroller Blues," but there wasn't a weak moment in the whole set. Slightly over 2 1/2 hours of world class music, and I'm willing to bet that the audience left satisfied. I surely did!

The Troubadour Reunion Tour is definitely an A++...and then some!

=)

PS. The last encore number was "Locomotion." Dancing in the aisles ensued, and I was 13 all over again. ;)

21 comments:

Amy said...

Oh how fun for you! I wish I could have been right along side you, but hearing about it, living it vicariously will have to do. Glad it was such a magical night.

Unknown said...

Seriously...that looks like the best concert!!!

Lisalulu said...

so jealous! They were here in Seattle on Sunday. My husband laughed his head off when I suggested we go see them, he said that after that we could then go see Barry Manalow ... (um yeah? whats your point?) He prefers AC/DC, sigh. I saw JT in 1990. He rocks my world.

jen said...

Lucky you. I was watching AI last night and they announced Bon Jovi tonight. It always takes me back to 1987.
Those were the days.

CB said...

"I feel the EARTH MOVE under my feet, I feel the sky come tumblin' down..."
OHHHH YOU lucky Lucky woman! This would have been such an awesome concert. Memories from my youth come tumbling down let me tell you!

I had no idea that Carole King even performed anymore, much less twith James Taylor - WOW!!

BTW - I am San Jose Born and raised - Yahooo!!! We used to go to the San Jose Earthquakes (pro Soccer) games when I was a kid and "I Feel The Earth Move" was the theme song - we would stomp on the benches and the song would play when the Earthquakes got a goal!

larainydays said...

What a great review! I would love to see them here in Phoenix...actually I thinks it's tonight. Sigh.... At least I have your pictures. I'm glad you had fun.

Karen said...

Sounds Fab!! Both are favorites of mine. Got to meet Heather last night - she is great!

Momza said...

that's all I got.

Karen Mortensen said...

Glad you had a great time. Looke like fun to me.

karen said...

Lucky, lucky you! I'd have been dancing in the aisles along with everyone else (much to LaMar's dismay). It sounds like so much fun - what a great show!

Myrna Foster said...

Looks like it was a blast!

Darlene said...

It sounds like it was absolutely perfect. I'm so glad you got to go to this. I wish they would come somewhere close to us and I don't think it would take much to get Dick to take me. You are so right, JT is so smooth. It is the best music for relaxation, although he can get pretty crazy too.
CK is so good too. They do make a perfect team. That is some kind of stadium. It's amazing to me that they can get so many people in there. I'm not sure I would like it so much though. I prefer an old fashioned stage. It's just that I can't imagine the sound being that good. I can't believe you got so many pictures. Surely you didn't take them at the concert, did you? Anyway, the whole experience was so great and I just hope Dave got home early enough so that you didn't have to walk miles to get to your car.

Susan Anderson said...

The sound was actually excellent, which surprised me, too. And they set the stage up like a theater in the round. I was surprised at how intimate that made the concert feel, and it seemed like we were in a much smaller venue.

=)

Katie said...

What a fun concert!!! So somehow I've fallen behind on my blogging again, so here I am trying to get caught up on all I've missed here! I did start another dress for Mia last night so I'll have something to post soon :)

Caroline said...

I would have LOVED to have been at that concert. Both Carole King and James Taylor are American treasures!
Thank you for sharing!

Heather Anderson said...

glad you enjoyed yourself

CB said...

I am so sad. So after I read about the concert I went and looked up if they would be here in Idaho.
Come to find out that Carole King actually lives in Sun Valley. And yes they will be doing a concert there and DANG it is already sold out!!! So sad.

Susan Anderson said...

Mom-

Yep, these are MY photos. Not bad for a point-and-shoot camera in the dark, right?

=)

Jess said...

So glad you had fun!

VK said...

You are now the 3rd friend of mine that was able to go tho that concert. All share your sentiments that it was awesome. I wish I'd have gone.

Anonymous said...

Glad you had great time there,I have been a big James Taylor fan for years. This man can sing better than almost anyone I have seen. I’ve never miss any of his concert too, even James Taylor Tickets were the best sellers. I miss carly and him singing together.