Friday, May 28, 2010

Sunny Skies and Family Ties


Well, our annual Palm Desert family reunion trip is underway, and the golfers are blissfully breaking in their first course. (Bogey-free, of course.) Today's forecast promises 86 degrees of delight, with clear blue skies and all the fluffy white clouds a golf enthusiast could wish for!

We arrived at 2:00 in the morning, having left our neck of the woods at 7 PM. (The Bishop got held up.) Quelle surprise. Nonetheless, when the alarm went off four hours later––at the very crack of dawn––my intrepid men bounded out of bed, grabbed a homemade cinnamon roll (thanks, Mom), and headed off to glory. Oh, that I had the power to stir them so easily...

Much of the drive was spent listening to crackling versions of the Laker game on several different radio stations. Let's just say you could have cut the tension with a knife. Thankfully (and I will owe them for life), Kobe and gang managed to pull off a buzzer-beating win at the last minute. (Sorry, Arizona friends, but I hope you won't begrudge my relief at not having to spend the duration of my trip cooped up in a moving vehicle with three men in Laker loss mode.) I might have jumped to my death.

As it is, I have lived to see another day, and tomorrow I will even get to see my grandkids! Best of all, Jeremiah is bringing his prize-winning Pinewood Derby car for my inspection. Yes, folks. Graphite works.

Hope every one of you has the kind of Memorial Day weekend I'm looking at right now, complete with all of my favorite things.

(Family, family, and more family...)

=)

10 comments:

karen said...

Even I have to say that last night's game was one of the best I'd seen - even I was going crazy! So glad you're having fun (hey - send one of those cinnamon rolls MY way...)and that you'll be enjoying your family all weekend. Have a great time and Happy Birthday!

Jess said...

What great weather for memorial day- I'm hoping for no more snow. It sounds like you have a great weekend planned- I hope you have fun!

Heather Anderson said...

can't wait to see you... did you take that photo cuz it rocks!

Braden Bell said...

Wow! It looks beautiful there. Enjoy!

Katie Blacker said...

sounds like a fun trip! that photo is awesome btw.

Amy said...

oh that sounds like a divine holiday weekend! I wish I could have the weather you are having. I love the heat. And it looks amazing where you are staying! Have so much fun!

Caroline said...

Oh have a great trip! My husband and I love basketball, and we were watching the Lakers play the other night and getting so tickled at Jack Nicholson and how passionate he gets about the game. He is such a tremendous fan!
Anyway, I'm glad your Lakers won, and I hope you have an awesome trip!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Enjoy your weekend with family,Sue! Happy Memorial Day!

Katie said...

I LOVE Palm Springs! We used to go there every summer with my grandparents and all our cousins. Some of my fondest memories from my childhood. My husband and I spent our first anniversary there too. Glad you're enjoying yourself. And Happy Birthday :)Oh, and that photo is AMAZING!

Darlene said...

So glad you are here, Sue, and I am going to hate hate hate Tuesday when you leave. That's the only bad thing about having my family visit---they do end up going home far earlier than I would have them go.