Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Hope in Christ: Loving One Another


What inspires me most this week is the story of Lisa King, a wife and mother who has had to say farewell for a season to both her ten-year-old son (in October) and her husband (just last week).

Pouring over her recent blog posts, I was interested to learn that she is a member of my church from Tasmania, Australia, where she apparently finds as much strength and comfort in our shared faith as I do. What a blessing this will be to her, one she will need more than ever in the days and months ahead. She will also need the love and support of her entire congregation as she continues grieving her young son in the absence of the most important person in her life, her husband, while mourning him as well. Having been the recipient of great love and support from my own ward family more times than I can count, I believe with all my heart that Sister King's will do everything in their power to sustain and uphold her, as will her parents and siblings.

It is this belief that consistently brings me a measure of peace in the midst of tragedy. Seeing men and women of good will consistently reach out to one another in times of trial, gently lifting up the hands that hang down, never fails to remind me that the Lord knows who I am and will extend His hand to me, most often through His other children. Surely Lisa has felt and will continue to feel the Savior's love in every act of service extended to her and her boys, for that is one of the very best ways He heals our hearts.

"Wherefore...lift up the hands that hand down, and [strengthen] the feeble knees."
Hebrews 12:12, D&C 81:5

If you would like to help Lisa King and her family with funeral and other expenses, please click here. I do hope you will take a few moments to visit The Kings so you can feel her spirit and appreciate her words. Both will be a gift to you today.

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

thanks for the heads up on this...and for showing how to help as well...i am glad she has those around her to stand with her in this time...

Unknown said...

I spent some time reading her story this morning. I can't fathom it. Sometimes I just wonder...where is my faith? How can anything possibly be alright with this?
I know she will make it. She is strong and has the faith of those around her.
My heart broke for her and I'm so sorry she is suffering.

yaya said...

Wow, I was blown away reading her blog and trying to fathom how to get through a trial like that. She seems to have a strong family and a wonderful Church family too. I know we have so much knowledge about this earth life and the next life to come, but saying goodbye for a season is still the hardest thing to do. I know the Lord will help her get through this. Thanks for telling us about this family.

Gail said...

I can't even imagine the pain...I let her know I was thinking of her.

CB said...

Sue that is soooo sad. I don't know how she can bear it.
My heart breaks for her and for her losses. It has to take great faith...

anitamombanita said...

Oh my. That is heartbreaking. It's amazing to me how people find the faith and strength to just keep moving forward, one foot in front of the other...even though I know where it comes from...I still stand all amazed... every day!

Darlene said...

This is a tough one. I've always said that I could not understand how a mother could lose one of her children, and then to lose her husband so soon after is heartbreaking. I don't know what people do when they don't have the gospel to sustain them. It is so comforting to know that we will see and be with our loved ones when we die.

It is amazing too, that when something like this happens, how much help one can get from their ward family. It is so wonderful to have such great friends who are so willing to help in times of need.

karen said...

I can't even imagine it. My heart would have a hard time taking all of that at once. And yet, look at how gracefully she is weathering the storm. I'm in awe, and it put my little problems right into perspective. I am glad she has faith that we all go on and that this pain is just temporary - it's the only thing that makes it all bearable. What a sweet family.

Pondside said...

I have no words. I will pray for the family.

Lola said...

Too difficult even to imagine the pain. We will pray for the family.

Grandma Honey said...

I've been reading on her blog. So overwhelming isn't it? It's incredible the suffering some families must endure. But I do know, where this is suffering there is also great comfort.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

I am speechless at the mere thought of her pain.My prayers are with her. She will certainly need her friends and family more than ever. I cannot even imagine how she can even take one breath after another. I think God gives you strength when you have none of your own left.

moana said...

Amazing inner strength and the desire to keep going. I know that in times of deep sorrow like this that we are carried by the faith, love and prayers of others. I also think of her son and husband together. There is something about that which makes me extremely happy. There is an undeniable peace that comes from the knowledge of Gods plan for us.