Friday, January 7, 2011

Imagine...


I wonder how many of you are aware of Eva Cassidy? She is a singer extraordinaire, but her voice is more finesse than flash...more exquisite than exciting. If you are one who regularly pushes the mute button before you go a-blogging, I hope you will un-mute for a moment or two so you can listen to her right now on my playlist. I particularly like her version of John Lennon's song, "Imagine." I also particularly like John's song, itself:

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too

I like his song despite the fact that portions of the first and second verses (above) don't apply to me. To be honest, I wouldn't want to imagine there being no heaven, and the idea of living on earth without religion or even country doesn't much appeal to me, either. But the ability to let go of ideological differences and simply enjoy the spirit of Lennon's lyric has always been mine, because I absolutely can relate to his basic premise. I love the intent...a brotherhood of man...a world that lives as one, but I believe that the key to that dream's fruition lies in the heart...that it is intrinsic rather than extrinsic. I think the world can be shared by those who choose to embrace and those who prefer not to embrace religion, and I believe countries have the potential to honor and understand one another. I also believe that abolishing boundaries and belief systems would not repair the damage we see in the world today. The real changes men and women need to make must come from within; and for me, a true brotherhood of man would respect diversity and stretch itself to allow distinctions of belief and nationality. I even like the idea of possessions, so they can be shared willingly. I want differences, so they can be overcome. In my imagined world, it is love, not homogeneity, that fulfills the dream. And it is lack of homogeneity that provides the greatest growth and sweetest victory in that fulfillment.

But I do love John's song, and I relate to it on every level of feeling. After all, we are both dreamers. Our blueprint may be different, but the dream we are dreaming is universal. He and I and so many others are reaching for the same ideal...And somehow, in my heart, that transcends our differences. Which is why I believe that it's perfectly okay to retain them.

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

It's a good dream...the very best.

Let the transcending begin! (And don't you love Eva Cassidy?)

=)

20 comments:

Nikki Nichols said...

I had never heard of Eva Cassidy, but I really like her voice, she reminds me in a weird way of Annie Lenox. Music really is such a great therapy... in so many ways!

PS, you really have such great taste in music. if I ever need a good song I will just go to your blog and see what is on your playlist!

larainydays said...

Beautiful voice and great interpretation of this song. I never get tired of it.

Darlene said...

I enjoyed listening to the strains of this beautiful melody. I like her voice very much.

We got an interesting thought from a friend of ours yesterday. I wish I knew from whence it originated because I think it is very good.
"I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there is't, and die to find out there is."

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about that song. I think if I could just grasp the message that we should all love one another and do go for each other and accept diversity, then I think I'm okay.
When it comes down to it, we just need to break the political barriers and national traditions and love everyone.
But I don't want to imagine life without heaven or religion.
Her voice is beautiful...never heard of her before.

Jocelyn Christensen said...

I'm a dreamer too!

Jo said...

What a lovely voice ...
and i do imagine .... every day ... i try to be the peace i want to see in the world ... even if it means not honking at the jerk who cut you off in traffic or being cold to the not so nice sales clerk ... it's hard, but it is my contribution towards the peaceful process that i wish we could all seek ...

Anonymous said...

I had never heard of Eva, but I am so glad you posted this beautiful song. Her voice is wonderful and I love that song. I dream and wish and dream and wish...wouldn't it be wonderful? Thank you, for sharing. Hugs

Amy said...

Eva Cassidy is divine! And I love John's Imagine just makes me happy. Beautiful cover.

anitamombanita said...

Sue, it seems prescient that you chose this as your message for today. What a perfect song for this sad (but hopeful) day.

EG CameraGirl said...

Her voice is golden! I will remember Eva Cassidy's name. :)

Grandma Honey said...

I've always loved that song. It still puts me in a sort of trance when I listen to it. A dreamy sort of reflective trance.

Donna said...

I've not heard of Eva but the lyrics were just beautiful! It's great that you could broaden my horizons today...(and many others too)!

Donna said...

PS....I just love that little Bryce's picture(s) on your side bar! They make me smile each time I visit!!

yaya said...

I love this song too, but I can't "imagine" my life without religion. It's a shame so many wars are fought in religion's name. If everyone would understand what their religion's philosophy is and practice it correctly, I think many hatreds would end. However, I'm a dreamer and hope to never lose that ability!

jen said...

I can always count on you to widen my musical horizons. Thanks for this one.

Michelle said...

I hadn't heard of her before, but she is really good!

Dream on!

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Do you know about her life and her death? She was from DC; used to work at the nursery where we bought plants a time or two...but we never met her.

Once I discovered her music, posthumously, I bought all of her CDs. Songbird is one of my favorite CDs of all times...her best, in my opinion.

Her voice is angelic and haunting at the same time. Any song she sings, she breathes new life into.

Lennon was a genius. Imagine is a masterpiece.

Great post!

karen said...

I love Eva Cassidy. Katie and Zach's first dance at their reception was to one of her songs, so she will always be a voice that brings me good memories. Beautiful voice and so haunting.

Em said...

Love Lennon:)

Splendid Little Stars said...

Thanks for sharing this version! such a special song.