Monday, April 12, 2010

Back from Grandma Heaven/Blogger Hiatus

Our trip up to Southern California took place in the dark.

Hope you like this shot.
(it was a tough one to get)

We rolled into town about 2:30 AM...
(bet you're wondering how I captured THIS) trade secret

Only to have another one of our famous flat tires.

Fortunately, we were three blocks from Matt and Heather's.
(our haven)

Unfortunately, Ryan had to walk them...or drive on the rim.

He was all for driving on the rim.

I was for walking.
(he walked)

He picked up Matt's car so Karin and I could move luggage
(and ourselves) to the house in order to hit the hay before dawn.

Then he stayed at my car and waited for AAA.
What a good guy.

He caught up with us at 4:00 AM.
(at least, that's what my clock said)

Fortunately, I woke up in beautiful surroundings
(thanks for the room, Carli)

The sun was shining a little more brightly than I was,
but it didn't take me long to perk up.

In fact, I had so much fun I never took one picture till Sunday.
(not a one)

Then I recovered...just in time for the grand entrance.

Hmmm. Who do you think is the biggest ham in the fam?

Well, actually, that might not be as easy an answer
as you think...

These two make a pretty cute pair...
and they do like their share of attention!

While this dude is growing up so fast it kills me...

But he still checks out the pantry with his sibs
for the Sunday sacrament meeting snack hunt.

And his dad still checks out the TV to DVR the big games.

Finally, the whole family is ready to go!
(except Heather, who isn't feeling well...)

Into the car they go...

Um...that's...INTO the car, Carli...
(okay, I did do the braids, but the orange bow was her call)

Good job, Bryce!

Meanwhile, Ryan finishes up our last-minute packing...

Before we hit the road.

He likes to look at the scenery.

Hope you do, too...

Cuz it ain't bad...

Not bad at all...

Pretty dang good, in fact...

And well worth looking at...

Even in the rain.

Home again.

Home again!
(or very nearly, anyway...)

=)

PS. The blog break was great...but I have to admit that I'm delighted to be online again. And I can't wait to check out all your blogs!

PPS. We did lose Karin halfway through the trip. She had to fly home for reasons I'd better not mention here...(respecting privacy is probably a good policy with adult children, right?) But it was all good! ;) Even better were oh-so-kind Grandma and Grandpa (my parents) who drove a fair way to see us and then went out of their way, in heavy traffic, to take Karin to the airport. Thanks, guys!

16 comments:

karen said...

For some reason I thought you were going to be gone all week, so I'm glad to see you back so soon! Looks like you had a nice time seeing the kiddies. They sure are cute! Sorry about the flat tire, though...

larainydays said...

I enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow....that was a great summary of your trip even though the flat tire wasn't so great. I had company in town so I wasn't blogging much either. It was a great time for you to take a break!

Lisalulu said...

Welcome back, I missed you. Great road trip and Grandkids are always the life of the party!

Amy said...

What a perfectly delightful weekend! Sorry about the flat. That stinks but at least you were so near your destination. Beautiful scenery. Thanks for sharing!

Grandma Honey said...

I really enjoyed this adventure! I like how you had simple captions under each picture so it read like a good story. So where in Calif did you go?

Fiauna said...

Beautiful pictures. It looks (and sounds) like you had a nice time. What a lovely family.

Susan Anderson said...

Actually, Jill, we went to visit my son and his family a little north of San Diego. Really a nice place to be.

=)

CB said...

I enjoyed going on your trip with you. The scenery WAS great. Even the night shots - ha ha.
Your grandkids are adorable - they all look SO sweet - You are so lucky!!
It is THE BEST to enjoy family!!

Heather Anderson said...

We loved having you... thanks for making the trip I know it is not easy;)

VK said...

Love the travel log. I can't believe you got a flat tire too. (I had one just a couple weeks ago)
Cute Grandchildren.
Beautiful California.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Wow, way cute pictures!!! Looks like your trip (other than the flat tire) was great!!

Darlene said...

It was great to see everyone again, even if it did turn out to be a really short time. It's a good thing we came early as I would have hated not being able to see Matt and Heather.

As for the horrendous traffic, it's never fun to do eight miles in forty five minutes. That was the slowest section. Still, we did get a pretty nice visit with Karin. and she insisted we needn't stay even though she had a couple of hours to wait for her alternate flight since we didn't get her there until fifteen minutes until her original flight was to take off. What a good sport Karin was. That is one of her best qualities though, she is SUCH a good sport.....always.

Now I can look forward to your being here in sunny Palm Desert over your birthday weekend. By the way, how come your golf WEEK ended up by first shrinking to
FIVE days and now it's just THREE days. Oh well, better three days than not at all. We do look forward to those crazy busy days.

See you soon again.....lovely!!!

alpinekleins said...

How beautiful - and what treasured memories to travel and visit with family!

Kristin

Caroline said...

Oh it looks like a LOVELY trip! Your grandchildren are absolutely precious.
I hate you had a flat! Why does that always happen on road trips? It sounds like you were in good hands, but still--4 am is a late,late night.
Glad you are back!!

Katie said...

Oh I just hate flat tires when on a road trip! Well, anytime for that matter, but especially on a road trip. I remember having one in the middle of AZ in the middle of summer with my dad and brothers when I was in 8th grade--I WAS NOT happy, LOL!