Friday, July 15, 2011

Brain Drain


I'm willing to bet that my brain used to be larger than the inch or so pictured here, but I have clear evidence that it is indeed shrinking. (Or maybe the correct word would be shriveling.) Either way, you can be sure that I find the whole experience shattering, shocking, and shameful...including but not limited to the shortcomings that accompany it. (As you can see, the ability to alliterate is not among those shortcomings.)

not yet, anyway

Sadly, the ability to choose the word I want, when I want it, definitely IS among them. And then some. I never imagined that my once fertile mind would be dependent upon a thesaurus to find the word I was looking for, but these days I find myself tethered to that tome constantly. Where are those easily produced words of yesteryear, tripping from my tongue, pen, and keyboard like streams of sparkling water, flowing freely? Oh, how the mighty have fallen! These days I can't come up with le mot juste to save my life. Not that I don't know what it is...oh, I know all too well exactly what it is. The problem is that I can't come up with it...And no other word will do.

*sigh*

It's...

(Cue frenzied, impatient search through thesaurus here.)

Ahhh, yes. Discombobulating. To say nothing of flummoxing, befuddling, and downright flabbergasting.

Gingko biloba, anyone?

;)

I'm hitting the beach next week (poor hubby has to stay home), so please bear with me if I'm a bit irregular about my posting!

21 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

It happens to all of us, unfortunately. Frustrating, I know. :(

Busy Bee Suz said...

My brain is a bit smaller that yours pictured here. :)
it happens to the best of us. Darnit.
Enjoy the beach!!!

jen said...

I'm starting this. And I hate it.
Have a great week at the beach.

Donna Tagliaferri said...

I would like to go to the beach with you please. I will be ready, just pick me up...I won't eat much, good time to cleanse...thank you.

Brian Miller said...

yay...have fun at the beach...i bet it helps with that discucumbering...smiles.

Unknown said...

I'm not sure my brain was ever very large! I've always struggled to find the words. And I just barely learned to use a thesaurus...although I still don't use it!
Words have never been my forte. But I think the shriveling of my brain is a good thing...less anxiety!!

Lisalulu said...

i say that our brains are the same size but because of our age and wisdom and all the knowledge we've been able to acquire, that sometimes the amount of stuff is larger than our brain is able to hold..it spills over into other areas of the brain so we can't find anything. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Joyful Noise said...

I totally agree with Lisalulu. It is because we have so much going on in there. That is my excuse...

Karen Mortensen said...

I am glad I am not alone. Have fun at the beach. Lucky you.

karen said...

I hope you weren't kidding because that means I'm not alone in my dysfunction. I've devised all kinds of clever ways to disguise it when it happens - I hate not being able to think of a word, or a name or...
Is Dave coming to the beach later? We were hoping you two could go out to dinner at some point - maybe after the family time? We would love to be able to do that, after the wonderful time you showed me!

Unknown said...

I wish I could blame age on this same blasted faulty brain incidence.
yes, I used the thesaurus 3 x to get the word "incidence" even though it's not quite the one I was hoping for. ;)

Darlene said...

I do know what you mean. I hope it isn't genetic because if it is, you probably got it from me. I worry that I am getting senile like Helen was. When I mention it to my friends though, they keep telling me that they experience the same thing. I think with us it is just age. You are TOO YOUNG for this to be happening to you. I think you are just stressed lately. I'm surprised you even had time to post on your blog today.

Unknown said...

My head is the same size as my three year olds. I am not sure what it means, but I don't think it is good.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Honestly, the thing about post-menopause that's the most frustrating for me is loss or malfunction of memory. I use dictionary.com to recheck word meanings, for goodness sake!

Love the picture of your brain. I laughed right away.

Enjoy the beach. Wear a 70 sunblock, a hat and sit under an umbrella. :)

Terra said...

Sometimes it happens to the best of us...brain shrinkage that is~~~

Ames said...

Girl, by dictionary is at my right hand and my Thesaurus is at my left hand ...always! Brain farts ...uh I mean senior moments have nothing to do with it! :)~Ames

yaya said...

Oh brother, there's my brain! I thought I lost it. I didn't realize I had left it at your blog..when you're done just leave it in my mailbox.

CB said...

I find myself doing this alot and it is very frustrating to say the least. It's always nice to know you are not alone.

Wish I was at the beach with you - Have fun!

Amy said...

I love that you have ever been able to come up with the word you needed. The thesaurus and I are dear friends. Always have been, and always will. Sigh. Welcome to my side of the tracks, Sue. Make yourself comfy, and have some ... wait, what is that word?! Tea? Refreshment? Drat! At any rate, have some. :)

Michelle said...

I hear ya. It is one more thing that makes me look forward to the resurrection.

And makes me think I need to do more crossword puzzles.

Caroline said...

Since having Oliver, my brain is now officially the size of a peanut. Shortly after he was born, I once took a shower with my socks on. And most of our meals look grilled (or at least that's what I like to say) when actually, I've burned them! :))

p.s. Can you pack me in your beach bag? I'm up for a beach vacay! :) I hope you have a great time!!!