Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Afghani Women Reading about "His Children"


Anita Schiller, the photographer who first approached me with the idea of writing poems to complement her work for a coffee table-type art book she was creating (now a fait accompli entitled "His Children"), decided to get involved with a literacy program in Afghanistan. Anita is one of those people who is always out there looking to find the needs and meet them, and her paradigm is not only multi-cultural, but global. What a treat it has been for both of us to see these pictures of Afghani women learning to read English using our book.


I think I can safely say that we count these amazing, courageous women among our favorite readers...

=)

PS. Anita's latest efforts are directed toward an organization called Generations Humanitarian, whose purpose is to find homes for street children in Latin America.

10 comments:

jen said...

I can only imagine how it feels to see your work in print.
But to see it in print, being read all the way around the world, now that's fulfilling.
That makes you a "real" writer, right?

p.s. "Designstar" is on HGTV on Sunday nights. Worth the hour. Definitely. But the season's almost over now . . . . :(

Fiauna said...

I wonder if reading the book helped those women understand that they are also His children. I hope so. It's amazing how cruel that culture can still be toward women.

That's must feel wonderful.

Karen said...

You are an international STAR!! I love this book and have it sitting out so anyone can flip, read, or enjoy it!

Karen Sue said...

Sue-
Just following back to you from your comment on mine! Where is HIS CHILDREN available?? I'm always glad to hear someone else is reading my ramblings! Welcome! Come back over for another visit real soon!

Snarky Belle said...

Sue, that is truly wonderful. This touched my heart. I feel honored to have a copy of this great work for anyone who visits my home to read.

Just amazing and wonderful!!!! Congratulations on changing lives for the better!

Katie Blacker said...

ok THAT is cool. You and Anita are Rock stars. always have been..but these pictures prove it.

karen said...

That's wonderful! I want one of these books! You must be thrilled to be part of such a worthy endeavor!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful. I hope you frame that and hang it where it can inspire you every day.

Momza said...

That is wonderful. What a genuine example of talent and service.
Surely their lives are blessed and yours too. Very very awesome.

Em said...

sue!!!!! that is so cool!!!! i feel so cool that i have that same book on my coffee table!!! love it:-)