Thursday, January 1, 2015

Glad, Gladder, Gladdest


EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN


Dave and I have decided that we're glad 2014 is over, gladder that 2015 is here, and gladdest that two new family members (namely, Karin's twins) will be with us when we enjoy 2016 in the not-so-distant future. Or at least, it will seem not-so-distant when it comes. Can you believe how quickly time passes these days? I could swear we just welcomed in a new year last month…or at the very least, in the early fall!

In fact, everything old gets new again so quickly that we can hardly catch our collective breath. (Or maybe we are just out of shape??) Either way, it feels like time is getting away from us, and our New Year's resolution is to make even our mundane moments more meaningful...not just by using alliteration to talk about them (though I do love me some alliteration), but by using inspiration to magnify, maximize, and memorialize them. The poem is written to myself as a reminder:


©2015 Susan Noyes Anderson

Every day is worth its weight.
The years pass on, and soon or late
your fields will grow up gold and tall
or fade away to naught at all.

The scenery depends on you;
your way of living yields the view.
An hour embraced bears rich reward,
but what befalls the hour ignored?

Don't skitter through the days too fast.
The moments matter; make them last
or pay a price that costs you dear.
Time lost is loath to reappear.

Sow every hour in rows of gold.
Raise fields of glory to behold.

image © do trong hop

for more G posts, click below

17 comments:

Janet Martin said...

Love the poem; so true! You've got me contemplating my own glad-gladder-gladdest moments...Happy New Year!

SarahBeth said...

Positively perfect poem! (I like me some alliteration too!!) Hope you have a safe, healthy and prosperous New Year!

Gail said...

Wonderful words to live by...I'll try.

storybeader said...

lovely poem. Enjoy each and every day of the new year. {:-Deb

yaya said...

I love this and needed a good reminder to not waste the day and every moment is precious. Happy New Year Sue!

21 Wits said...

I totally and completely agree with each and every line of your heartfelt poem!

LeAnn said...

What a lovely poem to ponder upon. We do need to enjoy all the precious moments of this life and not waste a minute of it. Time does seems to be going by so fast; I can hardly catch a breathe. Thanks for the reminder to saver the minutes.
Always love you posts dear friend and blessings to you!

Leovi said...

Yes, I love, beautiful poem! I wish you a happy 2015 full of light dawns that fill you with vitality and beautiful sunsets that cover your tender heart!

EG CameraGirl said...

Time does seem to be passing quickly. For sure I need to slow down and savour each moment, spending each one in the best possible way.

All the best in 2015!

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely post and photo for Alphabe!

Happy New Year to you,
artmusedog and carol

Stacy said...

I agree with you time really does move quickly and it is easy to miss the regular moments in the want for something better.

Grandma Honey said...

Oh my. Amen to that! I like how you say it's all about the moments. We better learn to enjoy those since they are all so fleeting. The decades fly by like the years use to.

jen said...

Wish you were blogging more, but I'm sure you're doing even better things with your time.

Karen Sue said...

I think I'm good with the end of 2014, too. And I have stuff to look forward to. And I have stuff to do...

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Happy and Healthy New year, Sue! I do feel like you do, that the years seems shorter as I grow older. We have a new grand baby to look forward to on 2015 in late Spring so that will make this a good year. I love your poem! Every hour of every days is precious!

Brian Miller said...

sow every hour...i like that...the new year does feel like a fresh start though we can have that most anyday...and there is nothing fresher than the new life we are given...smiles.

tree said...

Wow. This was absolutely beautiful!