Friday, April 27, 2012

The Magic of Coconut Oil


A couple of years ago, I wrote about the joys and benefits of cooking with coconut oil. Today I want to take my enthusiasm for coconut oil a step further and confess that this wonderful substance has also become my favorite face and body lotion. It moisturizes and conditions like a charm, leaving my skin a little less like crepe paper every day. Sure, it's a bit like getting oiled up for the spit at first (greased pig, anyone?), but ere long the slippery residue absorbs and you are sitting pretty. Honestly, I am loving the difference––and I love the price, too (relatively inexpensive, and it goes a long way).

Yesterday, I even used the stuff as a hair treatment. Yep, I just rubbed it through my hair until it hung in oily snakes glistened around my face, then popped on a shower cap and let it marinate for a couple of hours. What I like about this hair salad is that it actually takes away the dryness while leaving your locks with some body. In fact, it adds to the body...and I kinda need that, these days.

So there you are, friends. My very best beauty secret is yours to keep. Can't promise you that it will work miracles, but it does work like a charm!

;)


PS. This is also a great massage oil, with antibiotic and anti-fungal properties. And as I've said before, the extra virgin, cold-pressed, organic brand (Nutiva) is even great to cook with because coconut oil includes high amounts of lauric acid, which is good for cholesterol and aids in weight loss. Some people even swear by it to prevent tooth decay. (The Mia Flora brand is not for ingestion, though.)

16 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hmmmmmm. My husband has such dry skin problems, this sounds fantastic. I may have to see if I can get it locally or just online. Thanks Sue.

Brian Miller said...

you better watch it...you might turn into a coconut..hehe..smiles...i love the accompanying song too...gave me big smiles this afternoon...

Em said...

this makes me want macadamian nut pancakes with coconut syrup.

Grandma Honey said...

So do you still cook with it?
I have a few dry patches on my skin that will not go away and I've tried numerous products. So I think I will try this coconut oil on it next.

And I didn't realize coconut oil is good for cholesterol. Thank you for that. I've been stirring it into my oatmeal but fearing what it was doing to my cholesterol.

Darlene said...

I had no idea you were such a coconut oil fan. I love to cook with coconut milk(the canned variety) but I have never thought to put it on this old dry body. I will try it for sure and hope that I am not allergic to it. Where do you buy it, and what is the brand you use for a moisturizer? I can't seem to make out the printing on the bottle you posted.

Is the stuff you put on your dry skin in oil or cream form? Is it also what you put in your hair? You can see that I really do need more info.

EG CameraGirl said...

Thanks for the tip, Sue. I think I'll be looking for some cocnut oil.

Jenny said...

I'm thinking I need to buy a drum of it...and put it in the tub!

CB said...

Every year I seem to be drying up more and more. What the heck?
I have been slathering myself in Aquafore (mostly my feet and hands which get alot of abuse). I am with Jenny I may have to bathe in this stuff - Thanks for the tip!

Pondside said...

I'll look for it. I wonder how much change I could count on in four weeks? Just asking - there's a lot of crepe to be plumped up!

Ames said...

I watched a You Tube video about a doctor's husband that was tested for Alzheimers disease. The test was to draw a clock and he failed. She was told that her husband had late stage Alzheimers. The doctor asked the diagnosing doctor if there was anything that could be done and she reccomended giving him Coconut oil everyday. After three weeks he was asked to redraw the clock and it started looking more like a clock each and every time he was asked to draw the clock.

I started giving my husband Coconut oil everyday. He even melts it and drinks it. Not that he has Alzheimers (knock on wood)but he was beginning to have memory issues. I hope it helps him.~Ames

Joy For Your Journey said...

I just bought some about a week ago and have used it a couple times for cooking. I thought about using it on my eyes, but thought that might be a bit crazy. After reading your post though, I may just give it a try!!

Sreeja said...

Hey ...I am from the land of coconuts and I back you on its charms....it is really wonderful and an all rounder too, from cooking to antiseptic purposes.

momto8 said...

I have read in books where women oil their hair...I once tried mayo on my hair...but I smelled like salad. I will definitely try this! the older I get, the drier my skin and hair get . Thnaks!

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great idea. And I love the smell of coconuts.

karen said...

I see it all the time in our local Sprouts market - I'm going to pick some up. My skin is not as nice as it used to be!

Blogger said...

3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!