Tuesday, April 17, 2012

From Lightning to Aloha

A modern-day version of striking gold in San Francisco.

On Friday the 13th, 8 lightning bolts hit the Golden Gate Bridge.

We had a big thunderstorm in our area, too, even though we're more than a few miles south of the city. Our son, Ryan (who turns 32 today), happened to be spending last Thursday night with us because we had taken him out to dinner for an early birthday celebration. It was quite late when he decided to go for his nightly run, despite the fact that it was pitch dark and raining slightly. In the middle of his route, the skies erupted with a thunder and lightning spectacular that included buckets of the wet stuff pouring down on him. Yep, those raindrops kept falling on his head, but that didn't mean his eyes would soon be turning red (or that he would be hurrying home to bed, either). Instead, he finished his run while his crazy mom went out looking for him in my Pilot, worried that he might get struck by lightning himself! Of course, his father insisted it wasn't necessary, and both of them laughed at me when I came in from the cold, some time after Ryan had already arrived.

The birthday boy did look like a drowned rat, so I guess I had the last laugh...

=D

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RYAN!
We struck gold the day you were born.
HAVE FUN IN KAUAI!!

(Shouldn't every birthday be celebrated in the Aloha state?

;)

21 comments:

Susan said...

I think that second shot is of the Bay Bridge. It's still amazing though!

Cheryl said...

Who took these photos? They are amazing.

Happy Birthday Buddy! Aloha!

alpinekleins said...

OoooO - those must have been a sight to see I would imagine! Nothing like an outstanding thunderstorm :D

I must admit, though I don't consider myself superstitious I'm always a little bit leery about Friday the 13th!


Kristin

Unknown said...

8 bolts of lighting? WOW!!!

Grandma Honey said...

You are just like me...when my adult kids are visiting I turn back into a Mother Hen....I can't help it.

Hey, while we were blowing out Logan's candle on his first birthday, you were giving birth to Ryan! What time was he born,btw?

karen said...

I think every DAY should be celebrated in the Aloha State. Happy Birthday to Ryan!

Those are amazing pictures - that must have been very dramatic to see in person!

jen said...

I don't think you could pay me enough to take those shots!

Unknown said...

Happy birthday to your son. And, wow, those shots of the Golden Gate Bridge are amazing!

larainydays said...

Love the lightning bolt pics. I want that to happen on my birthday.

LeAnn said...

Yes, Happy Birthday to Ryan and I think he should have come right home. I am so scared of lightening and thunder. It's a phobia for me. While everyone likes to look out the window at the lightening. I prefer to climb under my sheets.
Loved the picture and the post.
Blessings and hugs!

Strummed Words said...

I thought at first that that was the Titanic. Great photo!

JJ said...

Sue: I found you on Judie's site. I read your comments and had to begin following! Nice to meet you.

yaya said...

I don't mind walking in the rain but lightning scares me to death! Happy Birthday to Ryan and yes, Hawaii would be the perfect place to celebrate anything!

Renegades said...

Isn't it in every mom's job description to worry about offspring?????

Stef said...

I would never run in a storm. Heck, I almost never run anyway. And you are a good mom to go looking.

Amy said...

Absolutely stunning. Wow. I love lightning storms. And running in the rain is exhilarating. What a wonderful birthday for your son! I hope he has a phenomenal time in Hawaii.

Joy For Your Journey said...

I totally think all birthdays should be celebrated in Hawaii. I celebrated several of mine there and wish I could have been there for all of them!! The picture is amazing!! And I am glad your son was safe. I would have gone looking for him as well. I always do--and my husband always insists that it isn't needed.:-)

Rune Eide said...

Your grandmother sent over to have a look, and you stunned we at once with the first lightening shot. A real hit if ever I have seen one. Keep it up! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, scary running in the storm. Hang in there Momma. Just tell him to stay off the lightening rod bridges while he runs!

Caroline said...

Oh Sue I would have done the SAME thing!!

As you know, my husband is a runner and I am terrified that he will be hurt while running. He USED to bike years ago--and still would if he hadn't sold his bike, but he was once hit by a car while cycling. He has a metal plate in his arm! So, now he just runs!

Love, Caroline

p.s. Happy Birthday to your Ryan and I am so glad he is safe!

Ames said...

That's wild and scary!~Ames