Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Gift of Hope

Yesterday was a horribly sad day for a family I love very much...which means it was a horribly sad day for me, too. It had been a perfect morning, the sunny but crisp kind that makes me believe anything is possible, and I was filled with warm thoughts of my mother (whose 85th birthday it was) and how fortunate I am to have her still living and loving me as I prepare to turn 60 next month. Her goal, set several years ago, is to be sitting in the audience when our son Todd graduates from medical school...and the way she's going I won't be a bit surprised if she makes it to that red-letter day and beyond.

For this and many other reasons, I was feeling happy and blessed when the phone call came that would replace serenity with sorrow. The daughter of two of our dearest friends woke to find that her 7-month-old baby had slipped away in the early morning hours, a crib death, and it felt as if the very heavens were weeping. Born prematurely, this valiant little soul had fought his way through numerous struggles, one after another. To the joy of family and friends, he had emerged from those early battles victorious, only to go to sleep perfectly healthy and stop breathing before the break of dawn. It was and is unthinkable, and the large community of people who love and support this family are joined in grief and sadness.

We are also joined in hope, because we know God lives. We know that He loves His children. We know that He has a plan for our eternal salvation and happiness, a plan that included the sacrifice of His only begotten Son, who would take upon Him all the sin and sorrow of a world created by His hand. Because of Him––His willingness, selflessness, holiness––the dead will rise again, and the grave has no victory. No matter what we pass through in this life, no matter the pain, no matter the devastation, His love is and will continue to be sufficient for our needs. He is our Shepherd, our Redeemer, the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, the Savior of all the World. He is Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, Beloved Son of the Almighty God. He is our Elder Brother and Friend. 

How grateful I am that this young mother and father know Him. They have faith in His power to heal and bless them, and their hearts are open to receive the peace and comfort only He can offer.
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid" (John 14:27).
Today we are all mourning, and that's as it should be. The family is bereft, and so are the many people who love and support them. Their little one...loved one...is gone for a season, and he will be sorely missed. His sweet smile and spirit will move from conscious mind to memory, and empty arms will ache to hold him close. But Mom and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, Aunt, Uncle, and siblings will be upheld and renewed by the knowledge that their son, grandson, nephew, and brother lives on...and their reunion with him will be the sweetest joy imaginable.

In the meantime, they are in my prayers today. And I hope, perhaps, they will be in yours, too.

25 comments:

Grandma Honey said...

Oh Sue, I am so so sorry. I can't even imagine the anguish and loss this family feels. This is every parent and grandparent's nightmare. Certainly, I will pray for them.

Kat Mortensen said...

God must have needed him in Heaven. I am so sorry for his parents, Sue and for all of you who are affected. My heart goes out to you, and I will remember you in my prayers.

Kat

Brian Miller said...

(hugs) for them and for you...so hard for little ones to go...it hurts just thinking about it...prayers up

Terra said...

oh so so sad. Such a hard thing to have to endure. My thoughts are certainly with this family. I can't even imagine. Sigh.

larainydays said...

I'm glad they have you for a friend. My heart goes out to them.

Unknown said...

I am sending up prayers for them.

Amy said...

That is my greatest fear. As I believe it is for all mothers. To lose a child would be the most exquisite and harrowing loss. My heart breaks for your friends and they certainly will be added to my prayers.

Anonymous said...

hope is so important


apollo and the two muses

Terra said...

Yes, I prayed for comfort for you and for your friends. You posted the perfect Bible verse, John 14:27.

Lisalulu said...

so sad for the sweet family.

yaya said...

Oh Sue, this is so very sad. I will keep them in my prayers today and I know they will have the love and support of many. There are just to words to say what's in my heart.

Sistas in Zion said...

Our hearts go out to them for their loss and they are in our prayers.

Momza said...

This is so sad. So hard to understand these kinds of experiences--to see them with clarity/purpose when there appears to be none.
May this family be blessed with peace and comfort in the days and months and years to come.

karen said...

Oh Sue - that is so sad. I'm so very sorry. I don't know what I'd do if we didn't have faith in our beliefs - it's the only thing that could pull me through something like that. These sweet ones must have something very important to do, and yet they were able to take time for a short visit to fill our hearts and memories with hope for what will be.

Lindsay said...

Beautifully said Sue. My heart is very heavy today also, just imagining the anguish they are experiencing and the realities that lie ahead. The grieving process is long and hard, every day waking up hoping it was a bad dream, but knowing it isn't. Comfort is there and their child will forever be with them in their family.

Stacy said...

How sad for that family. Beautifully said, I agree with all of it!

My thoughts are out with them.

Connie said...

Sue,
My heart grieves for that family. If you've read my blog in the past month you know that my own 2 1/2 month old grandson died of the same thing. Losing a child/grandchild is one of the hardest losses to face. That hole that is left in your heart is a physical pain. Right now they wonder how they'll ever go on living without that sweet baby. They WILL feel the peace and strength that comes from the Holy Ghost. There will be tender mercies along the way but it will take a while to heal. Oh, how I wish I could give them a hug!
Be there for them and please let them know there's a family in Spanish Fork who is praying for them.

Joy For Your Journey said...

I am so sorry for you and for your friends. It is also the fifth story I have heard of this happening in the past month. It makes me so heart sick. I cry every time for the families involved. I don't know how I would deal with a similar situation. It is so heart breaking. Having faith does help, but the sorrow is still very real as well.

Ames said...

I have this huge lump in my throat. I just want to cry out ...but why? I know God has his reasons for the way things turn out in our lives. It is such great sadness this loving family has to endure. Peace be with them.~Ames

Pondside said...

The support of friends like you will mean so much to this family over the next days. It's so hard to understand the loss of a child and they will need all the comfort you can provide no matter how strongly they know that the end of this life isn't the end.

Unknown said...

That certainly puts things into perspective for me. As bad as things are in my life right now, my children are still alive this morning.
I am so sorry for you and this family. I'm sorry that anyone has to experience this kind of sorrow. I know that there is a plan, but sometimes it still is just awful. I hope that there is a peace that surpasses all understanding that surrounds this family and all those who know and love them.

Caroline said...

Oh Sue, I am so sorry.


I will keep them in my prayers today.

Your words were comforting to me today too. Gil and I lost a friend on Monday. The wife of Helen's Godfather. She had been sick for awhile, but her passing on Monday was a surprise. She leaves behind a 6 year old son and a 13 year old daughter.

Sending a hug for you. And thank you for your loving words and perspective here.

Simple Home said...

So sorry to hear about this loss, but thankful they know the Lord!
Blessings,
Marcia

Create With Joy said...

Dear Sue,

I am so sorry to hear of your friend's loss. This family is in my prayers.

I recently reviewed a book on my blog called He Heard Hannah that would make an uplifting gift for this family. You can read about the book here:

http://www.create-with-joy.com/2012/03/he-heard-hannah-review-giveaway.html

I appreciate your sweet comments on your recent visit to my blog and I look forward to getting to konw you!

Ramona

Create With Joy
http://create-with-joy.com

anitamombanita said...

Ugh. That's one of the problems with being out of touch. When you finally get back online you get the bad news along with the good. So so sad. It's just heartbreaking.