Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Bow to the Pilgrims, Who Started It All


“The Pilgrims, being thus arrived in a good harbor and brought safe to land, they fell upon their knees and blessed the God of heaven, who had brought them over the vast and furious ocean and delivered them from all the perils and miseries thereof, again to set their feet upon the firm and stable earth, their proper element. And no marvel if they were thus joyful."

–William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth County



“Inasmuch as the great Father has given us this year an abundant harvest of Indian corn, wheat, peas, beans, squashes, and garden vegetables, and has made the forests to abound with game and the sea with fish and clams, and inasmuch as He has protected us from the ravages of [our enemies], has spared us from pestilence and disease, and has granted us freedom to worship God according to the dictates of our own conscience, Now I, your magistrate, do proclaim that all ye Pilgrims, with your wives and little ones, do gather at ye meeting house, on ye hill, between the hours of 9 and 12 in the daytime, on Thursday, November 29th, of the year of our Lord one thousand six hundred and twenty-three and the third year since ye Pilgrims landed on Pilgrim Rock, there to listen to ye pastor and render thanksgiving to Almighty God for all His blessings.”

–William Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony



So once in every year we throng, upon a day apart,

To praise the Lord with feast and song, in thankfulness of heart.”

–Arthur Guiterman


Happy Thanksgiving to every one of you, and thanks for being such faithful visitors to my blog. As the saying goes, when I count my blessings, I count you twice!

For the joy of human love
Brother, sister, parent, child
Friends on earth and friends above
For all gentle thoughts and mild
Lord of all, to Thee we raise
This, our hymn of grateful praise

=)

PS. Here's a little Thanksgiving treat, which will probably be far more enjoyable than my pies. Below is a picture of the first meeting house of the Pilgrims, built in 1689 at Plymouth.


And a picture of the first landing that makes me feel instead of think.


Let's remember them today.

How grateful I am for this great nation
and all that we enjoy as its citizens.
What a bountiful harvest is ours!
(even in hard times)

6 comments:

Momza said...

Since a child, wearing a white paper pilgrim bonnet, I have always held a reverence for our dear Pilgrims who came to America.
Thank you for this fitting tribute. I wish there were specials on TV about them rather than a special on Hannah Montana and other nonsense. Alas, the times we live in do not hold those things dear.
Hope your day was perfect & bright.

wv: brance as in "remembrance"

karen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Sue! I hope your day was as nice as mine was. Good food, good family, good friends.

Grandma Honey said...

What great pictures!! wow

Darlene said...

I'll bet I'm the only person I know that actually lost a whole pound on Thanksgiving Day. We had our dinner at Nancy's about 2:00 o"clock in the afternoon and I was thrilled that Nancy had decided to make chicken piccata instead of fish. I actually cheated and did something she told me not to do and that was to bake a pumkin pie and take it with us. If it hadn't been for that my dinner would have seemed a little flat, being that it was a Thanksgiving dinner. Funny thing, just a few days before, Nancy and I had talked about lemons. She loves them and I don't. I never liked lemonade and never even used lemons much for cooking, except for my pork chops and my lamb shanks, but since their whole family loves them, she drowned the chicken with it, and added lots of lemon juice to the asparagus. I ate a few bites of my chicken and also three spears of asparagus. I gave the rest of my chicken to Dick and enjoyed my salad, which was designer greens with a yummy diet blasamic vinegar vinegrette which she buys at Albertson's. We need to get some of that. Everyone in her family loved everything, so that was what was important. Incidentally, they didn't seem to mind too much that we brought pumpkin pie. In fact, they all seemed to enjoy it. Later in the evening, Nancy made the same dinner all over for Geoff and Sheena. Dick had a pork sandwich. I wasn't even humgry so I didn't eat anything. No wonder I lost a pound.

We are going to do our turkey dinner tomorrow, so we will get to have some leftovers.

Wish we could have been there to be with Todd and Ryan. Will see you all at Christmas though.

Susan Anderson said...

Hey, Mom...Did you gain the pound you lost at Thanksgiving back again eating your own yummy food the day after?

We all missed you and are looking forward to Christmas!

=)

o charm said...

what lovely artwork, especially those first two.

thank you so much for offering to send me trader joe's goods! looks like i am hooked up, but so sweet of you to offer! you must understand how good they are. . .

and yes, we will be here through the holidays. that's why the baby was planned so well, so we could be here for this time of year!!

hope you are enjoying yours!