Saturday, August 27, 2016

Burdens to Blessings


Burdens to Blessings
©2016 Susan Noyes Anderson

When life rears up and strikes me down,
when all the world turns bleak,
I look to God for hope and find
the comfort that I seek.

He may not snatch me from the jaws
of troubles I must bear,
yet He walks with me faithfully.
I feel His presence there.

Sometimes I choose to turn away
when suffering is great.
I rail against His timing, spurn
His help that comes "too late."

My heart does not remember then
what I remember now;
that if I would be as He is,
my life must teach me how.

For strength flows from the spirit
that has exercised its might.
Each violent storm I conquer
brings me closer to His light.

My Father has a plan for me,
a plan I once endorsed.
Each soul must find its way to Him;
no spirit shall be forced.

May I accept with grace all things
that bring me to my knees––
in joy or sorrow, grateful 
for my opportunities.

The world is one small moment
pulled from vast eternity.
Father, I would be mindful 
of thy priceless gifts to me:

Life lessons that I need to learn,
a family filled with love,
a Savior who will lead me home
to dwell with Him above.


for more "blessings" poems click below

10 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

This is so beautiful Sue. Love it.

Sumana Roy said...

a beautiful poem of faith..."He may not snatch me from the jaws / of troubles I must bear,
yet / He walks with me faithfully. / I feel His presence there." my favorite part...

Jae Rose said...

Sometimes there are no easy answers. to feel we have someone guiding us can definitely reduce the burden.. such an honest piece and uplifting

yaya said...

Amen and Amen.

Grandma Honey said...

You said it so well Sue. The older I get the more I realize that many blessings come packaged as trials. Too bad the blessings are not always obvious at first, but they do come. And I like that line here you wrote about how we signed up for this . Still it's not easy. Oh my, not easy.

Intelliblog said...

Faith is a powerful thing, but we often forget that God helps those who help themselves. A thoughtful and deeply felt poem, Sue.

Mary said...

He is definitely there in life! And is the greatest blessing of all.

Jim said...

So very nice, Sue.
The love of God. "We love him, because he first loved us."
My favorite lines here, I like all of them, are
"...He walks with me faithfully.
I feel His presence there.
"

You cat poem is nice too. We had to let our Farrah out as she felt she had to be climbing our sheers. But she didn't run off, she still loved us and we loved her, she hung around. She would bring us the little wild prey she would catch, like mice and small snakes. Most times they were dead, on our back doorstep. She died in our flower bed after a long live.

I post a few 'poems' on my "Jim's Little Photo and Poem Place" blog. They are what I call 'novice poems.'
..

LeAnn said...

Oh my, this will be an all time favorite. In fact, it is an answer to my prayer for a dear sister we are working with. I am sharing your link with her. You are just so remarkable and your poetry always inspires me. Sending loving thoughts and hugs to you!

Friko said...

What a blessing it to have faith.