Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Life Train-ing

The tone may seem a bit ominous, but this poem is mostly a reflection upon our inability to control circumstances in life. Of course, we still need to participate fully, learning and growing as we adjust to situations not of our choosing. Faith is key. As Rick Warren said, "Life…is a journey of discovery. There are moments on mountain tops and moments in deep valleys of despair. Transformation is a process." (Still, those train rides can be pretty scary when you don't know where they're going!)

Life Train-ing
©2015 Susan Noyes Anderson

A new train chugging round the bend.
I wish I knew where it would end.
So much momentum, smoke and steel,
unstoppable from stack to wheel.
High in the air, it hugs the rail,
accompanied by high-pitched wail
to destination still unknown.
The captive pilgrim rides alone.

When I was young, I could pretend
that every train would count as friend.
But now I parse each sway and clack.
I've been on trains that jump the track
or stay the course disaster chooses.
Minus faith, the rider loses.

All aboard! It's time to ride.
The trains keep coming. Step inside.

for more magpies, click below

7 comments:

Berowne said...

Sharp, pungent. "Views 'n Muse" is right!

Gail said...

Wonderful.

Sometimes I don't know what I think until you say it...thank you.

yaya said...

Sometimes the scary ride is worth the trip. However, these days I'm not so adventurous. Like you said, you don't always have a choice where you're going. Good luck on your journey.

EG CameraGirl said...

The train ride can indeed be scary but I'm not sure the rider necessarily loses. I think the ride is a learning experience - sometimes we win and sometimes we lose depending on our willingness to learn. Just my 2 cents. ;))

LeAnn said...

Life truly is just like that in so many ways. This was a visual poem and as always you are amazing!
Blessings and hugs!

Karen Sue said...

oh, yeah

Momza said...

I try real hard to be wise about which train I take a ride on, if I get the choice.