Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Musings on a Manger


Our olive wood manger (and all that it stands for) makes me happy!



Sometimes I dream our manger scene
is brought to life at night.

The darkness yields to shepherds' fields

and one star, shining bright.

The angels sing; their voices ring
across a Christmas sky.

They speak of love from God above
and of the Babe nearby:

A Holy One...the Blessed Son...
Whose star will light the way

to hope and peace that cannot cease,
to joy that does not stray.

They journey far, led by that star,
'til they behold the scene:

A mother fair beyond compare,
A stable, rough and mean...

A loving man who trusts God's plan
and stands beside his wife...

A Baby small to save us all...
to lay down His own life

that we might live. The gift He'll give
is sacred beyond measure.

It's no surprise my wondering eyes
make of our creche a treasure.

In light of dawn, when sleep is gone,

the magic still remains.

The angels' story of Christ's glory
echoes glad refrains.

watercolor by Teresa Robertson
My spirit hears the strains.

O little town of Bethlehem
How still we see thee lie
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep
The silent stars go by
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
The everlasting Light
The hopes and fears of all the years
Are met in thee tonight

For Christ is born of Mary
And gathered all above
While mortals sleep, the angels keep
Their watch of wondering love
O morning stars together
Proclaim the holy birth
And praises sing to God the King
And Peace to men on earth

How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may his His coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still,
The dear Christ enters in.

O holy Child of Bethlehem
Descend to us, we pray
Cast out our sin and enter in
Be born to us today
We hear the Christmas angels
The great glad tidings tell
O come to us, abide with us
Our Lord Emmanuel

Find more causes for happiness by clicking below.

26 comments:

Katie Blacker said...

beautiful poem! perfect to get me into the Christmas Spirit.

Em said...

i love your olive wood manger. i wonder if it would be brennan proof??

Rawknrobyn.blogspot.com said...

You bring offer the true spirit of Christmas and the season with this one - and others.
xoRobyn

Anonymous said...

I love your olive wood manger. We still have not found one for our house but we don't want to buy an expensive one until the kids are all past toddler age.

Unknown said...

You need a like button. Your manger is lovely.

Tara said...

I love your manager scene, so nice. Beautiful poem too.

Grandma Honey said...

Looking at these pictures, reading your words and the poem at the end, while listening to that perfect music is an EXPERIENCE. If one does not have the Christmas spirit yet, they will after visiting here today!

Unknown said...

I wish I could have been there....maybe I was. I'd like to think I was in that heavenly choir of angels...
Thank you for bringing it back to the true meaning of that sacred night for me.

Actuary Mom said...

Great looking manger!!

karen said...

Just what I needed to read today. Thanks Sue!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful manger !

yaya said...

That poem should be put to music...it's so lovely and so is your manger. I have one that my mother-in-law gave us when we first were married and I treasure it. I also have a little one that my daughter-in-law brought me from Italy and I treasure that also. Those are the decorations that speak peace to me!

Jess said...

I have a Christmas decoration obsession with mangers. Your olive wood manger is so beautiful- I love symbolism therein, too.

Stef said...

Wow! That is amazing. YOu should have that put to music. No, really. You should!!

Amy said...

Now I wonder, do you find the photos first and then come up with the poem, or the other way around? I am always so impressed with how well the pictures correlate.
My mother has an olive wood manger. It also makes me happy. It reminds me of my childhood.

Caroline said...

Beautiful, Sue. That makes me happy too.

p.s. I've always wanted an olive wood nativity. So beautiful and precious. We have a nativity that I adore that we bought at Costco a few years ago, but an olive wood one is definitely on my list!

leigh hewett said...

Wow...that was powerful.

I really love you Sue!

Darlene said...

I really do love this poem, Sue. I think it is just about the greatest piece of poetry you have ever written, and I love all of your work. This, though, is priceless and I consider it a special gift to me from my dear daughter. Sue, I know this poem is for everyone, but it speaks to my soul and no matter how you look at it, it is a gift. I just wish all of your blogging friends could read it. To tell you the truth, I was surprised that only 18 commented. I know more than that read it, but how could anyone read it without commenting? HOW HOW HOW!!!!!

Fickle Cattle said...

That manger is beautiful.

http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

Nancy said...

What a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing it.

Tracy said...

So incredibly beautiful!
Happy Holidays!
Tracy

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I smiled the whole way through. The photos and the poem worked perfectly together. I don't think I will ever look at our Creche the same way again. Thank you for participating in sharing your Christmas Joy with us today.
Blessings,
Dana

Susanne said...

Now that is truly spreading Christmas joy!

Jenny said...

Sue. Visiting you from Dana's and late, late, late.

You are just amazing.

I think you are turning into my hero.

Really.

Just amazing.

Teresa Robertson said...

Dear Sue - I'm the illustrator who painted the final watercolour scene of Bethlehem, above the poem. Please credit the artists! Teresa Robertson (UK illustrator)

Susan Anderson said...

Thanks, Teresa. I'll take care of that right away. It's beautiful work, and I'm glad to know to whom it belongs!

=)