Saturday, September 15, 2012

Woman at the Well



How do these Saturdays keep rolling around so quickly, Jenny? One thing's for sure, your inimitable Saturday Centus is a great way to kick 'em off! Thanks for this word-related prompt (seen below in red). Ya gotta know I loved it!


∞§∞

Woman at the Well
©2012 Susan Noyes Anderson

"I love you," she whispered, dropping the words like old pennies into a well gone dry. But the words didn't land.

"I love you," she murmured again, fumbling the phrase deep in her own territory, a Hail Mary pass that went to ground.

Show some self-respect, she chided inwardly, full knowing that her need for him eclipsed it.

"I love you," she insisted––this time launching every letter (seven smooth, heat-seeking missiles) at his heart, fearing his heart no longer burned.

The pause was deafening, devastating.

Words can be puzzling,” he said. “Sometimes, omnipotent. But words can’t wake the dead.”

∞§∞

24 comments:

lissa said...

great take on the prompt. you've managed to say so much with so little.

thanks for your visit, have a great day.

Karen Mortensen said...

Gave me shivers. Good work.

Grandma Honey said...

Poor girl, she's too late.

w said...

oh. i could "see" your words. excellent!

yaya said...

Words carry so much power. The story in this prompt says it...I could actually feel it. I think sometimes a physical blow is easier to forget or forgive than words thrown at you.

Brian Miller said...

wow....really great story...tight...and some truth blended in as well....and some deep sadness.....

Judie said...

Excellent take on the prompt, Sue. This was a good challenge for us, I think.

Unknown said...

Wow. That said it all.

larainydays said...

That man is heartless!

karen said...

That was really really sad...

Darlene said...

That was a real challange and you were totally up to it, as usual. Yes, you reallly do have a way with words.

Tonya said...

You have such a powerful way with words. I love when I finally get over for a visit! :)

Unknown said...

Very nicely done. So romantic and quietly desperate. I can feel the deepest hope in her. Great job. Mine is here
Have you an AWESOME WEEKEND!
hugs
shakira

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Like always you never disappoint with your writings.
Never leave here without being in awe of you and your gift of words.
Love
Maggie

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

Oh such deep sadness she has.
Fabulous writing.
~Naila Moon

http://writing-out-of-the-blue.blogspot.com/2012/09/words-are-puzzzlinga-story-104-words.html

4 Lettre Words said...

That gave me goose-bumps, my friend!

momto8 said...

can feel her sadness and despair.

Connie said...

You truly are an artist, in every way!

anitamombanita said...

that was very cool! Nicely done, my friend, nicely done!

21 Wits said...

No they can't but I like to think they can hear us...in their own way.

noexcuses said...

Nicely done! I talk to the dead all the time!

EG CameraGirl said...

Powerfully written, Sue! I feel deeply saddened, all of a sudden. (Don't worry, I'll cheer up.)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic piece, every word had such great meaning. A very sad story. The love and meaning in her exclamation, hoping to stir any remanence of love in his heart. But it already died. Thanks for a great read.

Jenny said...

This made me shiver, Sue.

And that's no small fear when you're menopausal.

Cool!