Thursday, September 6, 2012

Poetree


I love this depiction of poetree, don't you? After all, poems are living things that grow from our roots, flow into beautiful branches. sprout a few leaves, and bloom forever. Are you one of the poetry-loving people in the world? I am. I like to read it, and I like to write it.

Three of my favorite poems are excerpted below, the first by Robert Frost and the other two by Emily Dickinson and ee cummings.

Frost's is the poem I admire most of all,

with Dickinson's little gem being a close second,

and Cummings' genius taking up the rear of an elite group.

(My own writing style has been heavily influenced 
by all three, and I'm sure I am not alone in that.)

I suppose I ought to close by sharing the best poem I've ever written, but favoring my individual children or poems isn't my style. Instead, I will offer you two of the most popular pages at my poetry site and invite you to visit and read a few more. Maybe you can even pick a favorite of your own...


The Promise
©1999 Susan Noyes Anderson


The sun will rise each day, and night will fall.
  We here can only wait, and watch, and see.
It is not ours to tamper with the flow
  Of nature, nor mistrust her majesty.

  'Twas other hands, not ours, whose heavenly light
Kindled eternal splendor in the skies;
Another whispers peace unto our minds
  When darkness looms before our faltering eyes.

And listening, we somehow come to know
  That in the midst of darkness, even then,
He sends the moon and stars to light our way,
  And promises the sun will rise again.

"Thy sun shall no more go down; 
neither shall thy moon withdraw itself:  
for the Lord shall be thine everlasting light, 
and the days of thy mourning shall be ended." 
Isaiah 60:20

dsc_8698-copy

Union: The Nature
©2010 Susan Noyes Anderson
our roots run
together
trunk to trunk
we rise up
bark on bark
we grow
leave knots
love knots
forget-me-knots
knotholes and
arching separations
always winding back
together
bowing
to and fro
as branch in
branch we dance
and struggle
hang low then
stretch high
boughs yearning
reaching turning
tasting bits of
one (the very same)
bright azure sky
∞§∞
I opened my poetry site in 2008, but it has undergone a couple of renovations (and added about 275 poems) since then. My original purpose was the same as it is today, to take my poems out of the desk drawer and put them someplace where they could see the light of day. Non-commercial use of my poetry is free of charge, but I do like to be notified first. Also, the copyright information must be included exactly as given on the site. Cheers!

Water is life, and my friend Caroline at Salsa Pie has some great ideas today for making sure every human being has an equal chance of enjoying it.

for more P posts, click below

20 comments:

21 Wits said...

Thanks, for making, my day brighter!

Brian Miller said...

nice...of these union is my fav....and i love ee cummings too....def an inspiration of mine...smiles.

Momza said...

So enjoy your poetry as always. Poets have the souls of musicians, I do believe.

Unknown said...

I love your poems. My students are working on some poems right now, and I like your poetree tree. May need to blow it up and make it into a display board.

yaya said...

Robert Frost was favorite of my sweet Aunt who always shared them with me when I was little. I do love poetry. My Dad had a talent for writing and poetry was one of his gifts. I love your writing style and have enjoyed them in your book. I love your choices today. I'm always thankful for the spirituality you bring to us!

LeAnn said...

You poetry posts are some of my favorites. I loved the other poets but you are high on my list. I have always wished I could write poetry and sing. They are not my gifts for sure. I have some very worn out books of poetry that my grandmother had. I didn't ever know her; but her choice of poetry showed much of who she was. I have a signed copy of Walter Scott's Poems published in 1864 that I inherited. Priceless!
Hugs!

Leovi said...

Very interesting, I love those trees full of poetry. Greetings.

storybeader said...

I loved your union poem. My favorite poetry is when the words together have two meanings. And this is beautiful, anyway you look at it! {:-D

Cathy Kennedy said...

Oh, these are pleasing to the soul! The purity of your words flow through me like a river. Indeed you know your purpose in life, my friend, to inspire others. God bless! =D

karen said...

Love Robert Frost, and e.e. cummings. Emily Dickinson is hit or miss with me, but when it's a hit I really love it. Your poetry ranks right up there with the best,my dear. I have my favorite, but of the two you chose, I like the second/Union one. I don't know how you do it, but I'm glad you do.

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

I have to add Walt Whitman to your favorite poets. When I need inspiration to write, I turn to them!

Your poems are beautiful and fantastic, Sue!

Judie said...

The words of four of my favorite poets--Frost, Dickinson, Cummings, and YOU!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

....beautiful! And the photo of the trees for your last poem is so sweet...intertwined like ageless loves.

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you dear friend for stopping by! I am finally catching up on my "O" post visits and able to squeek in a wee bit late with my "P" post!

anitamombanita said...

Frost and cummings have long been favorites of mine...and you too!! :)

Splendid Little Stars said...

wonderful poetry all!
I like Frost's "Stopping by Woods."
I have that Emily Dickinson poem on a rubber stamp.
Your description of Poetree is poetry itself.
I love your imagery in Union: The Nature.

Caroline said...

Sue, thank you for always providing us with inspiring content and thank you also for the mention.

Your help is so appreciated!

Love, your friend Caroline

:)

Ames said...

Robert Frost was one of the first poems I can rememmber reading in school.

I love the way you write. So very talented. ~Ames

Cheryl said...

My favorite pieces of poetry too. I especially enjoyed your second poem & the accompanying photo.

Amy said...

I am just now discovering the beauty of poetry. I have never been a fan before. Joyce Kilmer said it perfectly "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree." Ironic that it is a poem, right? But thanks to the likes of E.E. Cummings, and Susan Noyce Anderson, I am emerging from my stance on it. Thanks for helping me appreciate something so beautiful!

Jenny said...

Sue! These are three of my favorite poets, too! And three of my favorite poems!

And I think that last one of yours is going to be added to my list.

That writing really hit me hard right in the heart!

Powerful and wonderful!

Not just practically perfect but totally perfect in every way!

Thank you for being you!

A+